In 8 months my probate solicitors have done nothing. What can I do?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    kazwookie said:
    Have you checked that the house insurance is upto date for an empty property?
    I don't know how to check this for another property. I am concerned about vandalism or arson as the property clearly looks unoccupied even from google street view.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 April 2023 at 12:29AM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:

Is it normal that 8 months later the property is still not up for sale?

Yes - the property can't be sold until probate is granted.

Can probate solicitors take as long as they want?

Sometimes it feels like that, but there is no particular incentive for them to work faster.  They are not YOUR solicitors, they are acting for your late grandmother and they are at liberty to just ignore any approaches from you....
    Answers in bold
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2023 at 12:30AM
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    Deleted_User said:

Is it normal that 8 months later the property is still not up for sale?

Yes - the property can't be sold until probate is granted.

Can probate solicitors take as long as they want?

Sometimes it feels like that, but there is no particular incentive for them to work faster.  They are not YOUR solicitors, they are acting for your late grandmother and they are at liberty to just ignore any approaches from you....
    Answers in bold
    I disagree. The Legal Ombudsman will definitely deal with complaints from beneficiaries. See the link below, which gives a wealth of detail. Of course, you need to complain to the solicitors first, but failure to obtain probate within 8 months needs some explanation.

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/information-centre/news/leo-mythbusters-article-beneficiaries/

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the house the only asset? If there are investments etc to consider, probate valuations can take some considerable time. Until a full picture of the finances is available, the application for probate cannot be made. My MIL’s simple estate was granted probate some four months after the application went in. 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tooldle said:
    Is the house the only asset? If there are investments etc to consider, probate valuations can take some considerable time. Until a full picture of the finances is available, the application for probate cannot be made. My MIL’s simple estate was granted probate some four months after the application went in. 
    Absolutely. But, I would suggest that 8 months into the process, I'd need to know when the application for probate was made, what queries have been raised, what answers sent, etc. 

In this case, I suspect that little has been done. 

As a rule of thumb, executors are usually given a year to wind the estate up completely. 8 months into that year, and probate hasn't been granted. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • tooldle
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    tooldle said:
    Absolutely. But, I would suggest that 8 months into the process, I'd need to know when the application for probate was made, what queries have been raised, what answers sent, etc. 

In this case, I suspect that little has been done. 

As a rule of thumb, executors are usually given a year to wind the estate up completely. 8 months into that year, and probate hasn't been granted. 
    Possibly, I guess it depends on the solicitor and whether they feel additional communications should be added to the accumulating costs. 
    When I’ve been an executor, I’ve managed to clear things up in 13-14 months. My friend is currently 21 months in and still trying to get the estate of her parent sorted. In that particular case there exists a trust which is causing problems. There can be many complexities and there is little factual info provided in the OP’s post so we are just guessing.
  • tooldle
    edited 19 April 2023 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    I am one of three beneficiaries. I just read the last letter I received and it states that the partners in the law firm have been named as the executors.
    Are the same solicitors the named executors on the actual will? 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tooldle said:
    Is the house the only asset? If there are investments etc to consider, probate valuations can take some considerable time. 
    I believe she also had some kind of savings bond. She certainly didn't buy stocks or shares.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tooldle said:

Are the same solicitors the named executors on the actual will? 
    The solicitor we initially dealt with is not an executor. The will states that the "partners in the firm" are the executors.  I don't know much about the new solicitor who has taken over.

I wonder if there was an issue with the original solicitor leaving the firm and the new one taking over - perhaps a mistake was made while her workload was transferred.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tooldle said:

there is little factual info provided in the OP’s post so we are just guessing.
    This is pretty much all the information that I have and I know absolutely nothing about probate law.  My mother was the original executor; however she died a few years back and since then we've received very little information about my grandmother's arrangements.  She seemed to change her will on a monthly basis so we all gave up trying to follow it.

The only person with the answers is refusing to take my calls or return them...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback