Advice on travel insurance for long motorhome holiday overseas
The wife and I have just booked a holiday for next year and now I'm tasked with figuring out the insurance situation and I’m getting a bit lost so I thought I would ask here for advice.
Relevent info: The
holiday is 4.5 weeks traveling around NZ in a motorhome. Total cost of motorhome
+ flights is in the region of £10k. As of now we have L&G worldwide travel
insurance through our Monzo premium account.
Now for the problem(s).
1) The excess on the motorhome (regardless of fault) is approx. £4000. The ‘car hire excess’ on the L&G policy only goes up to £3k. My questions on this front are:
- In the event of an accident would I only have to pay the £1k shortfall or would I run into problems with it being ‘underinsured’?
- Can I top this up with a second motorhome excess policy of £1k? Or would I need to a separate excess policy to cover the full £4k?
- If I do need a separate policy – can someone point me in the direction of a company that would offer an excess insurance policy of up to £4k? When I look everything seems to cap out at £2-3k.
2) The L&G policy covers ‘cancellation or curtailment’ of up to £5k. Obviously that is a significant shortfall to the cost of this holiday. With that in mind I have a similar question:
- Can I buy a second policy for the trip for £5k
to make up the shortfall? Or would I need to find a new insurance policy that
covers the full amount?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers for your time
Did you know there's an MSE app?
It's free & available on iOS & AndroidMSE App
Regifting: good idea or not?
Add your two cents to the discussionMSE Forum
Energy Price Guarantee calculator
How much you'll likely pay from AprilMSE Tools