Google Pay - any card that plays nicely with this?

Options
techno12
techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 7 August 2022 at 8:26PM in Credit cards
I've had it with Halifax.

My Clarity is continually being rejected via Google Pay after a dozen or so transactions in a day. Happened each of the last 3 days, so after this mysterious point I have to use the physical card until the end of the 24 hr period.

Call centre was "computer says no" nonsense no ability to fix this issue.

Sort of defeats the point as I don't want to lug a wallet with cards in - much prefer the contactless mobile tap.

Any banks/cards out there more sensible and will send a msg to the phone to unblock, or ideally not have a limit for this at all

I just want Google Pay to work as expected with not some awkward and embarrassing "declined" with no reason given and no opportunity to restore access.

Comments

• wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    I have many cards that work well with Google Pay, including Halifax Clarity, however, I do not conduct a dozen or so transactions a day, so am unable to replicate your issue to see if I suffer the same. Sorry.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use the Lloyds cashback card regularly and once a week or so, Sainsbury's nectar fine by Google pay but as above, not so many people use it that often so it's probably triggering the PIN check - maybe do one card payment with PIN every day and see if that helps?
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok thanks - it was a bit of a one off I guess (multi day beer festival with lots of £3 ish transactions at the same location). Odd how it also occurred the day after tho after just a handful of transactions.

It's still nonsense that the bank blocks Google Pay but allows the same physical card, but it is what it is I guess...
  • Migster
    Migster Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you unlock your phone to pay or just wake it up? If the latter then it is like a normal contactless payment and you will eventually hit your bank's limits. If you unlock your phone to pay it's the equivalent of using your PIN, so you shouldn't hit any limits (unless of course Halifax simply limits the number of Google Pay transactions per day).  
  • pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using curve on google pay for most small in-person transactions for the last 6 months or so (mostly to try to work out what the fuss is about TBH) and I don't think I've had a single failure
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generally all cards should ask for a pin entry at some point when a number of contactless payments have been made.

This is mainly for security reasons to make sure you are carrying out the transactions.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have presented an unlocked device, a smartwatch, with Google Wallet on screen and been asked to enter the device PIN and re-present to authorise payment. So even using Google Wallet you may have to 're-unlock' your device to authorise payment. ( I must add that I've never been asked to do that using my phone, well not that I remember.)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    techno12 said:
    Ok thanks - it was a bit of a one off I guess (multi day beer festival with lots of £3 ish transactions at the same location). Odd how it also occurred the day after tho after just a handful of transactions.

It's still nonsense that the bank blocks Google Pay but allows the same physical card, but it is what it is I guess...
    Could it be that google have blocked it & not the bank? Or if it is the bank, they are worried that the google acc has been compromised. Which would not affect your physical card.

Just the same as if your card is hit with card not present transaction that need checking, it does not affect card present transactions.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard does NOT work with GPay (Google Wallet)

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 August 2022 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Never had any issues using GPay with my Chase Debit card.

Except once at a restaurant in Greece when my phone battery ran out. Good job I had a backup physical card
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback