PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Multi cooker

Options
Tink_04
Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
edited 4 August 2022 at 11:06AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi- I have been gifted a beautiful ninja 15 in 1 max cooker. It’s all singing, all dancing and I’m hoping perfect for helping the big oven off. 

Well it seems really complicated, I’m maybe just not up to speed with this new found machine, but I’m honestly quite overwhelmed as to what to make in it (you can make anything apparently). It’s the switching from pressure cooker to air fry to steam etc that confuses me. 

I have never had one before and usually manage with my SC and oven. 

Has anyone used one or have some good basic tips so that this doesn’t just become a gadget in my cupboard that never gets used.

thanks

Tink
Living the simple life

Comments

• CJRyder
    CJRyder Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I use the Rice, Manual Pressure and Slow Cook settings most of all. Pressure cooking to me is about speeding up the process and freeing up a space on the hob as well as "Set and Forget" cooking. For instance an hour long risotto takes me 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. Other functions (Yoghurt, Porridge and the like) are lost on me.

I have an Instant Pot so not sure about some of the features on your model.
    Mortgage free by 33 - (21/07/22 - 32 years and a bit...)

Most DIY problems can be solved by a combination of spanner, pliers, screwdriver, Allan key and a blade. (Hold it, twist it, cut it!) Very occasionally industrial language, a hammer and an adhesive may need to be added to the mix. (Curse it, hit it, patch it!)
  • newroadahead
    newroadahead Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Tink

Sorry not really able to help but will look on with interest as I have been looking at a 9 in 1 as it would mean I could let go of an air fryer, slow cooker, and skillet if successful

I'm sure some of our lovely Msers will come along and help as they all knowledgeable and I think I have seen some posts from.people who use them

NRA 
    NewRoadAhead Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00Debt Free November 2014January GC £ 245.75/£250NSD January 13/10February GC £250.00NSD February 2/15
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you Google 'how to use a Ninja multi cooker' a whole raft of videos on YouTube come up to help you. Might be worth watching a couple- I see one was for the 9-in1

I wouldn't let the SC go as that could be bubbling away in the background!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Effician
    Effician Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would say invest plenty of time & be prepared for some ugly food before you find your feet with it.
    A lot of the newish  gadgety type of cookers are all similar in operation & interface the problem is coming into them from basic cookers etc. there is quite a learning curve not only buttons & presets but in times & temps.
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I have made chips using the air fryer thing and I’m putting jacket potatoes in tonight (playing it safe). It’s got loads of buttons and features I think it’s a bit much for me, I am determined to give it a good try tho as I really want to use to oven less over winter as it’s a big Chuck of electric to use.

Think I’ll give a whole chicken a try tomorrow and then keep trying simple things until I build my confidence up.

would love to do some of the fancy stuff people make on them at some point like bread and cakes.
    Living the simple life
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd be really interested in hearing how you get on and what you think of the gadget once you've had a few weeks of trying it out. I'm beginning to wonder whether it might be worth starting a special thread for people to say whether or not gadgets they've tried are any good and if they've saved money, time, effort etc. What do you and others think?

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if you only use it as an Air fryer its going to lessen your oven useage.   we considered buying one of these but settled for our big square Ninja air fryer which also has bake etc settings.   cant remember last time we turned the oven on 

When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    When we make jacket potato we pressure cook for 20 minutes then air fry for 12 and they're the nicest spuds I've ever made.

We've boiled eggs in the pressure cooker, and the steam fryer is great for cooking rice in the bottom and chicken/protein on the top grill. We started with the manual, but have been able to branch out a bit now. Pressure cooked macaroni in the bottom with cauliflower and broccoli on the grill insert for 5 minutes, then emptied and made cheese sauce with the saute function, dumped the macaroni and veg back in and stirred, mozzarella on top, grill function for four minutes. Perfect.
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Sounds like some good things made! 

I did jacket potatoes yesterday- pressure cooked for 20 mins then air fry for 10 and they were a bit wet? It did take me ages to get the pressure cooker part right tho.
    Living the simple life
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I only have a basic air fryer but I tend to microwave my jacket potatoes for 5 minutes and then AF for 10 and to me they taste the same as oven cooked ones 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback