Just paid off credit card default - what next?

Options
Hi all,

I've finally paid off a credit card default and the account has been partially settled. My credit score is obviously not great especially as I have two of these defaults aroundthe same time end 2018/beginning 2019.

I want to start building my credit. I'm a much wiser person now in my mid 30s and better with money. Is it wise to apply now for a credit building credit card straight away and pay it IN FULL every month now my debt accounts have been settled? Or do I wait? I don't want a hard search rejection on my file!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can't have a hard search rejection on your file. Just a hard search.

You could apply now or later. Set up a DD for full payment. And ignore your credit score as it has no meaning in terms of your credit worthiness.

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lenders do not even see your fictitious credit score, it's the history that matters.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mangobloom
    mangobloom Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2022 at 6:40PM
    Options
    @[Deleted User] @macman thank you both for the prompt reply. That's good to know. I have other accounts on my file now like EE and my utilities. So do I just carry on as normal until the 6 years are up or would you suggest getting a credit card to show some extra history between now and then? I want to apply for a mortgage when the 6 years are up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 August 2022 at 11:58AM
    Options
    If you wait until the 6 year mark, you'll have a very thin file.

The idea is to continually build good history, as the bad history gets older. Getting a card is the easiest way of building history.

Remember also that you don't need to wait until 6 years to get a mortgage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback