What Small DFW Things Will You Do This Week 01/08/22?

in Debt-free wannabe
33 replies 783 views

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free. 

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.   
So be proud of those small steps, they really are important 😀
LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31
Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
SAVINGS: £20,000
Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113

Replies

• edited 1 August 2022 at 12:51PM
    allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2022 at 12:51PM
    Hi August Austerity Wrangles

Thanks for the starter @[email protected]. A precious day off today.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Eight:

Alarm clock off at the wall during day time.

Turn off WiFi box when not using it.

Defrosted soup from freezer for lunch. This portion has been at the back of the freezer for a while. :p

Cleaned and serviced our Dyson Small Ball Vacuum cleaner myself for free using videos from the official Dyson YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/dyson  The only tool I needed was a long piece of stiff wire to clear a blockage. What I like about this brand is how easy they are to maintain or replace parts if damaged.

Called a company to ask if they would retrospectively apply a voucher code. They wouldn't. At least I tried.

Ironed just 6 items. Mercifully my work clothing is all iron-free fabric.

Do washing with half the recommended amount of powder.

Air dry clothing.

Cleaned house with Stardrops and washable cloths.

Two years ago I bought DW a 5 litre bottle of an expensive shower gel she had fallen in love with. After using it for three weeks she developed an allergy to it. I am still stubbornly using up the stuff! Funelled some more into a smaller bottle to use up.

Paid credit card. I use it for getting cashback and pay it off soon after at 0%.

Checked TopCashBack for money payable.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • edited 1 August 2022 at 4:17PM
    carrielovesfantacarrielovesfanta Forumite
    3K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2022 at 4:17PM
    @ziggy2407 - big hugs. It's not easy to have ongoing ill health. We're very grateful you're around though xx
    Congrats to your DS :)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • DawnWDawnW Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Evening all :)
    ((Hugs)) @ziggy2407
    @carrielovesfanta sorry to hear about the situation with your Mum, but glad your Dad is making progress.
    Had a rotten night last night, as I had breathing problems and ended up calling 111, followed up by a GP appointment this morning (outside in their car park lol). A bit better today, and I got a couple of hours sleep this afternoon. OH and I managed a couple of things between us (pathetic, isn't it?)
    Load of washing dried outside on the line
    Watered the garden pots
    Ate stuff from the fridge, though not much of it in my case. Still, I may lose weight, which would definitely be a good thing!
    OH walked the dog when nobody was about. Luckily the dog didn't want to go far, though I think OH is now past the latest recommended isolation period. He is still not right though, and I have no doubt he could still spread it around if he decided to start mixing with others (or had to go back to work). No wonder there is so much covid about!
    Anyway, I am feeling bored and frustrated at the lack of progress / energy so I must be at least thinking about getting better! :D