PPI Insurance Claim scam!,

I used a PPI claims company few years ago to claim my PPI. They got me some money back and took their commission from the money.

After few years the same company reached out to me again that the government are paying claimants back the taxes HMRC took from the PPI claims. They sent me a form to fill for them to get my PPI tax from HMRC. This happened about 2 years ago when they came back to me that they didn’t see any claims for me.

Sometime in June 2022 I got a letter from HMRC about over payment of tax at my work. They told me that I will get the over paid tax in 14 days.

Few days ago, I received a nonreply text message from the PPI company I last heard from over 2 years ago, that I may get a cheque for tax refund of the same amount the HMRC wrote me is due to me in 14 days.

Just yesterday, I received a cheque from this PPI claim company detailing how much they have taken from the HMRC tax refund due me from my work.

My question here is, when I contracted this PPI claims company to look into the tax HMRC took from my PPI claims, does that give them any rights to a portion of my tax refund which HMRC would have returned to me anyway?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Normally, yes. Check the contract you signed.

It definitely won't be a scam, just a poor decision.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    PPI was reclaimable just by sending in a complaint to the lender.

Tax refunds can be claimed direct from HMRC using the appropriate form.

Neither service comes with any fee`s or charges, not unless you authorise a 3rd party claims company to act on your behalf, then depending on the type of agreement you sign with them (which lets face it, no one ever reads) you could be giving them the authority to take their fee from any future claim that you may become entitled too, regardless of what it is.

Which is why on this forum we bang on about never using such companies, as you are costing yourself potentially many hundreds of pounds for nothing basically.

It appears in this case, that they will continue acting on your behalf until you renounce your agreement with them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They got me some money back and took their commission from the money.
    It wasn't commission. It was a fee.  

After few years the same company reached out to me again that the government are paying claimants back the taxes HMRC took from the PPI claims.
    Not strictly true but close.    If your personal tax situation is that you overpaid tax, then you can contact HMRC with the details and they would refund what is owed.  A 2 minute job.

Just yesterday, I received a cheque from this PPI claim company detailing how much they have taken from the HMRC tax refund due me from my work.
    oh dear.  it looks like you agreed for the claims company to act as your agent for HMRC.

My question here is, when I contracted this PPI claims company to look into the tax HMRC took from my PPI claims, does that give them any rights to a portion of my tax refund which HMRC would have returned to me anyway?
    Yes if you appointed them as your agent (or worse, you completed a letter of assignment) and your terms of contract agreed to it.   We have seen several threads like this where it has been the case.

It won't be a scam but it could be on the shady side.  If the claims company is FCA authorised then you can use the regulated complaints process against the firm if you feel they have misrepresented their services.   You will then get access to the FOS, if necessary.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • PPI was reclaimable just by sending in a complaint to the lender.

Tax refunds can be claimed direct from HMRC using the appropriate form.

Neither service comes with any fee`s or charges, not unless you authorise a 3rd party claims company to act on your behalf, then depending on the type of agreement you sign with them (which lets face it, no one ever reads) you could be giving them the authority to take their fee from any future claim that you may become entitled too, regardless of what it is.

Which is why on this forum we bang on about never using such companies, as you are costing yourself potentially many hundreds of pounds for nothing basically.

It appears in this case, that they will continue acting on your behalf until you renounce your agreement with them.
    Note you will almost certainly only be able to get HMRC to remove them as your agent i.e. stop sending copies of correspondence or providing details about your tax affairs.

If there a deed of assignment in place you can only get that revoked with the PPI claims companies agreement.  Without that HMRC will make any tax refund due for any tax year covered by the assignment direct to the PPI claims company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback