Shell cancelled my broadband contract

Options
Exhausted_Cardiff
Exhausted_Cardiff Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 29 July 2022 at 10:18AM in Broadband & internet access
Shell failed to take over my line on the given date and after numerous phone calls with them where they said that Open Reach were responsible they have cancelled the order 15 days after it was due to go live. They had offered me a special on top of the MSE to persuade me not to take out fibre with another company and now I will have had to remain out of contract for about 5weeks before getting another contact AND having missed a great contract. It's been a nightmare as I'm now away from home and often out of all communication. They said I needed to re apply for a contract as they didn't know why it had been cancelled and then had the cheek to try to sign me up on a more expensive one as that is all that is available now. Any advice please?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shell failed to take over my line on the given date and after numerous phone calls with them where they said that Open Reach were responsible they have cancelled the order 15 days after it was due to go live. They had offered me a special on top of the MSE to persuade me not to take out fibre with another company and now I will have had to remain out of contract for about 5weeks before getting another contact AND having missed a great contract. It's been a nightmare as I'm now away from home and often out of all communication. They said I needed to re apply for a contract as they didn't know why it had been cancelled and then had the cheek to try to sign me up on a more expensive one as that is all that is available now. Any advice please?

Post in this section:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/phones-tv
    And you'll get information/ guidance.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • JaneHenery
    JaneHenery Posts: 39 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me, almost word for word, right down to being left fifteen days without a phone. I just re-signed with Plusnet but am just about to cancel that again as I was underwhelmed by the way they handled it too and  I've signed up with BT. I will be £80 out of pocket by the end of it, having to pay a ridiculous sum for my original broadband supplier, Plusnet, because I didn't transfer in time, and I now have another 21 day wait for my new supplier to get me online. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I imagine we aren't the only two to suffer. 

It's a great shame as I had Shell once before, and they were great. Not now, they ain't. 
  • Exhausted_Cardiff
    Options
    OK, so it's almost 6 weeks since I was promised a transfer and I've had endless promises of call backs from Customer Service and Complaint handlers. The latest one even asked me to specify a time, which I did and he emailed me 4 hours later to say he'd missed my reply and could he call back then, to which I answered yes, if he did so within 10mins. That was almost 5 days ago and I still haven't heard from him! Will I still be entitled to compensation if I give up waiting and start again, please?
  • Exhausted_Cardiff
    Options
    Starting again I don't seem to be able to get the MSE Vodaphone or Shell offers. Apparently, standard broadband is not available at my address even though that is exactly what I have now and what I signed up for 8 weeks ago! Neither are the low speed fibre options! What is happening?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Starting again I don't seem to be able to get the MSE Vodaphone or Shell offers. Apparently, standard broadband is not available at my address even though that is exactly what I have now and what I signed up for 8 weeks ago! Neither are the low speed fibre options! What is happening?
    Your exchange might have moved to a status of "priority fibre" which means you can only order the upgrade to full fibre altho you can keep your existing service (for now)
    Look up at    BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have no useful advice but you have dodged a bullet if you get away from Shell. They are appalling.
  • RRatchet
    Options
    Your exchange might have moved to a status of "priority fibre" which means you can only order the upgrade to full fibre altho you can keep your existing service (for now)
    Look up at    BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)
    I am in a similar position to Exhausted_Cardiff. I have standard broadband in that I can only get standard broadband, due to my long copper wire to the cabinet I can only get a lowly ave. of 1.2Mbps?!? With absolutely no chance of fttp this side of this century. So I now have fixed wireless broad band with installation funded by a Scottish Government Voucher. It's costing £46pm for 42 Mbps up & 30ish down, 15/18 ping. However I want to retain my landline and the only cheap deals are ones that include BB which I now don't use, so I want the cheapest cheapest deal. However the cheapest, Shell don't want me.........thankfully it would seem. At the mo I've got Plusnet and prior to that I had John Lewis (which is provided by Plusnet), so it looks like I'll have to swap between the 2 for the cheapest deal available to me.

MSE's BB checker is not at all that useful for me as even when entering my postcode. it offers deals that are subsequently found to be unavailable to me.

There is a contraction in the market for hard to reach areas, meaning less choice for us. Eventually there will be only the provider you are already with and you will be at their mercy because you'll have nowhere else to go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback