Best bank to open a savings account with

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just needed some help with opening a savings account which is the best bank at the moment to open a savings account with.

Thanks

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m very happy with Chase, for easy access savings 1.5% with the bonus of 1% cash back on debit card payments. if you want a regular saver First Direct offer 3.5% Santander 2.5%. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends if you want easy access, or can tie the money for a year or two in a fixed rate account . Or as a kind of inbetween there are notice accounts.

Also you need to decide whether to save in a cash ISA or just a normal savings account. Usually the non ISA accounts are better for most people. 

Compare The Best UK Savings Accounts | moneyfacts.co.uk
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Virgin money pays 2% on first £1000 and 1.7% on up to £25k so they're probably best in terms of rates
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Bizzywizard
    Bizzywizard Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

I have seen the Virgin account today for my elderly mother.
    She has resisted help from me for years!
    As she has £25k paying 0.5% in a nationwide flex account===she has no idea which one really!
    I have suggested she switch, will the Nationwide bank let her close the account and give a bankers draft so she can either go into a Virgin bank or pay it in via the postoffice, she is not great at internet banking as she has bad hands. What is the best thing to do. Or has everything got to be done online with Virgin?
    Thanks in advance!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure