Typo in name in Credit Card Application led to rejection- will it impact credit score?

Options
Hi hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

I applied for a balance transfer card with Santander to take advantage of the 0% interest. I’ve got an ‘excellent’ credit rating and eligibility checker on Santander had me as preapproved for this so was a little surprised that after submitting my application it was rejected instantaneously.   

I noticed then that I’d been an idiot and missed a letter off my surname so I think that might be the reason for it.

I just wondered if anyone knew if this rejection would impact my credit file as theres a hard search been done but essentially on a different name because I can’t use a keyboard properly (!). 

I’ve since found a better deal and didn’t reapply to Santander but wondered if I need to contact them?

Grateful for any insight! Thank you

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    CRAs use fuzzy logic to match names etc so almost certainly they'll have associated it to you... if they didn't then every Jennifer with a bad credit history would just start applying as Jen instead for a clean slate. CRAs do the ID checks for the banks and in most cases return a score on the level of verification they've managed to get that you who you say you are, this could have been significantly reduced with the name error.

CRAs do not record the outcome of decisions just that a hard search has been done. The search itself may make other lenders more concerned but typically a single one is fine.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One search will have little or no impact on your credit standing.  You do not have a credit 'score' so have no concerns there.  
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    CRAs use fuzzy logic to match names etc so almost certainly they'll have associated it to you... if they didn't then every Jennifer with a bad credit history would just start applying as Jen instead for a clean slate.
    But the OP made a mistake spelling their surname, not first name. "Fuzzy matching" surnames seems a dangerous game to play.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chino said:
    Sandtree said:
    CRAs use fuzzy logic to match names etc so almost certainly they'll have associated it to you... if they didn't then every Jennifer with a bad credit history would just start applying as Jen instead for a clean slate.
    But the OP made a mistake spelling their surname, not first name. "Fuzzy matching" surnames seems a dangerous game to play.
    Not if you understand Boolean vs Fuzzy Logic.

Fuzzy logic is not as simple as "that'll do, near enough".
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback