Apple iPhone Battery throttling Claim?

Options
skellington
skellington Posts: 43 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I keep seeing various news items, about users claiming for Apple's battery throttling on their iPhones over the years.

Is this something we can look at or do? 

I definetly had something along these lines with my last two iPhones, so just wondered if its something the public can claim or look at?

Thank you for any help

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a very specific issue where those who had batteries that were close to 80% of the original maximum capacity had the device performance limited to prevent the phone from crashing regularly, as Apple thought using the phone at lower power is better than it crashing. They then did a software change in March 2018 so you could manually turn that feature off. They also offered discounted battery replacement at the time.

The major issue was with some iPhone 6S models where the battery was of poor quality and those were replaced for free.

Now that they have added a way to turn off the "throttling" and they replaced batteries at a discount back then (I had my iPhone 7 battery replaced) I think the matter is closed.

See iPhone Battery Health explained: How you can control it (pocket-lint.com)
    and Apple Confirms It Degrades Your Old iPhone's Performance (forbes.com)

But it isn't some magic "kill switch" to force you to upgrade. It was the software doing what it should be doing to ensure your phone doesn't crash because it is old.
  • skellington
    skellington Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok thanks jon81uk, I guess its closed then, but thanks for your help and always worth asking..
    (I had a 6S at the time too)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure