Morrisons staff

Options
We shop online at Tescos but do odds and ends at various supermarkets.

We went in just before noon to the freshly baked pies/etc.

I asked the lady behind the counter re exact ingredients as one of the family
suffers for severe allergies.

The response, the info from this member of staff inc the politeness surpassed
our expecations massively. We've met nice staff/workers before but this lady
that was clearly busy as it was fast approaching a very busy hour - did not hesitate/etc
but gave us the info with a nice big smile - made our day as we often meet the neutral staff.

Thank you to that lady and thanks to Morrisons.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You must have been lucky or Morrisons have been re-educating their staff. A few years ago one of their staff clearly didn't know that if a best before date was (e.g.) 7 July 2022, then it was no longer at its best on 7 July 2022.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 July 2022 at 4:33PM
    Options
    You must have been lucky or Morrisons have been re-educating their staff. A few years ago one of their staff clearly didn't know that if a best before date was (e.g.) 7 July 2022, then it was no longer at its best on 7 July 2022.
    "Form of indication of “use by” date
    21.—(1) Where a “use by” date is required in respect of a food it shall be indicated by the words “use by” followed by—

(a)the date up to and including which the food, if properly stored, is recommended for use, and
    (b)any storage conditions which need to be observed.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/regulation/21/made

ETA: C&P the wrong bit

"Form of indication of minimum durability

20.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs of this regulation, the minimum durability of a food shall be indicated by the words “best before” followed by—

(a)the date up to and including which the food can reasonably be expected to retain its specific properties if properly stored"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/regulation/20/made

• lincroft1710
    edited 7 July 2022 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Andy_L said:
    21.—(1) Where a “use by” date is required in respect of a food it shall be indicated by the words “use by” followed by—

(a)the date up to and including which the food, if properly stored, is recommended for use, and

20.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs of this regulation, the minimum durability of a food shall be indicated by the words “best before” followed by—

(a)the date up to and including which the food can reasonably be expected to retain its specific properties if properly stored"

That may be the law but it is illogical!

"Before" has a specific meaning, if you saw the word "before" and a date you would not expect that date to be included. 

For example https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

Eligibility

You’re eligible for the basic State Pension if you were born before:

• 6 April 1951 if you’re a man
    • 6 April 1953 if you’re a woman

If you were born on or after these dates you must claim the new State Pension.

(my emboldening)

And to return to my original post, there were other occasions when Morrison staff were less than helpful

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Both of you have a valid point.

Ideally, a best before date should read, 'best date' ie 5th meaning the 5th is included.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Andy_L said:

"Before" has a specific meaning, if you saw the word "before" and a date you would not expect that date to be included. 

Eligibility

(my emboldening)

And to return to my original post, there were other occasions when Morrison staff were less than helpful

To be fair, it's usually BBE - Best before end. So end of day on 7 July 2022, it gets chucked. Or does it? Some things are still okay to eat. Some people may be right to be picky. My pension isn't as high as the new pensioners' pension because yes, I WAS born before that date. And that makes me very cross!!  But not BBE dates. No.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Andy_L said:

Eligibility

(my emboldening)

Without wanting to be rude, you've held on to the incident as bad customer service despite being two years ago, it's been pointed out the staff were correct in saying best before includes the date (they should be stating the law not what they consider logical) and yet you've doubled down to say that may be right but they're still wrong as it's illogical. 

Given you can still use a best before product after that date it's unlikely to drop off a cliff in terms of quality so seems a minor point anyway. Perhaps it's worth reflecting on whether you approached that conversation with Morrisons staff as best you could.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    pjcox2005 said:
    Andy_L said:

Eligibility

(my emboldening)

Without wanting to be rude, you've held on to the incident as bad customer service despite being two years ago, it's been pointed out the staff were correct in saying best before includes the date (they should be stating the law not what they consider logical) and yet you've doubled down to say that may be right but they're still wrong as it's illogical. 

Given you can still use a best before product after that date it's unlikely to drop off a cliff in terms of quality so seems a minor point anyway. Perhaps it's worth reflecting on whether you approached that conversation with Morrisons staff as best you could.
    You may not be rude, but you could try being accurate!!

I never said anything about the incident being 2 years ago, and there were other occasions besides the one I have quoted. Which is why I am pleased that Morrisons are now either educating their staff or employing more helpful ones.  I did not say they were wrong because it was illogical, I said the law is illogical. In fact, now I come to recall the item in question,was on display the day after the best before date.

I am perfectly aware that you can use an item after the BB date and frequently do so. For your information I always say to any supermarket staff member "Excuse me, but I think this is out of date". I have never had any problem with Tesco staff when drawing their attention to out of date stock, they have always been most appreciative, remove the offending item and check the rest of the stock of that item. The Morrison staff member was just dismissive
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pjcox2005 said:
    Andy_L said:

Eligibility

(my emboldening)

I never said anything about the incident being 2 years ago, and there were other occasions besides the one I have quoted. Which is why I am pleased that Morrisons are now either educating their staff or employing more helpful ones.  I did not say they were wrong because it was illogical, I said the law is illogical. In fact, now I come to recall the item in question,was on display the day after the best before date.

I am perfectly aware that you can use an item after the BB date and frequently do so. For your information I always say to any supermarket staff member "Excuse me, but I think this is out of date". I have never had any problem with Tesco staff when drawing their attention to out of date stock, they have always been most appreciative, remove the offending item and check the rest of the stock of that item. The Morrison staff member was just dismissive
    It is legal to sell food that has passed the BB date.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Andy_L said:
    pjcox2005 said:
    Andy_L said:

Eligibility

(my emboldening)

It is legal to sell food that has passed the BB date.
    Is this actually stated in legislation or is it that there is nothing stated in legislation that says you cannot sell food that has passed the BB date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback