Ebay item sold, now what?

2»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    danrv said:
    I don’t think it’s happening. No response to messages.
    Another bidder was in contact and was enquiring about sending a courier to collect it.
    I may get back in touch and I guess if it’s a distance sale, paying through Ebay would be best.
    Do not sell direct, you will get suspended. Cancel the existing sale as above then tell new potential buyer that you will re list , send them the item number and let them buy through eBay. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rantband
    Rantband Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    Another bidder was in contact and was enquiring about sending a courier to collect it.
    I may get back in touch and I guess if it’s a distance sale, paying through Ebay would be best.
    Do not sell direct, you will get suspended. Cancel the existing sale as above then tell new potential buyer that you will re list , send them the item number and let them buy through eBay. 
    Adding to soolins advice do NOT allow buyer to send courier to collect,arrange this yourself then you will have confirmation of delivery.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2022 at 4:33PM
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    Ok thanks.
    Have relisted and told the other bidder via eBay messages.
    Has offered to purchase direct by suggesting taking off the listing.
    I assume the suspension applies to selling an active item rather than a cancelled one.
  • soolin
    edited 14 July 2022 at 4:59PM
    danrv said:
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    Ok thanks.
    I assume the suspension applies to selling an active item rather than a cancelled one.
    EDIT- just to confirm you have definitely cancelled the first sale haven't you? 

The risks of talking to potential buyers is a difficult one to explain as it's done by a non human- so it picks up on things it misunderstands sometimes. Basically though ever talk about collection, swap addresses , etc unless you have a live auction and potential buyer uses ask a question on that. If you cancel an item and the bot thinks you are then selling to someone else without relisting it then it flags that as an off ebay sale, trying to avoid fees.

As for couriers, the absolutely only time you will accept a courier is a) if they bring cash or b) buyer agrees to allow courier access to the QR code that ebay sends to them , you need that to prove to ebay that item was collected - so that an INR can be avoided. Personally I dislike couriers collecting anyway- you have no control about when they will collect, you still have to package it all up securely , add labels or whatever and comply with all packing info required by the courier. For me colelction only means just that, buyer or someone with the QR colelction code agree a time, they turn up, they allow you to scan the QR code and they take it away.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    danrv said:
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    Ok thanks.
    Hello, do not take off the listing or let that buyer purchase direct. 

If you do that and anything goes wrong (such as the buyer doesn't pay once they have the item) you will not get anything since eBay won't be able to cover your sale with their 100% money back guarantee.

You should always correspond via the eBay email system so they can check up if anything does go wrong.

If you just google "offering to sell outside of ebay policy" then you can learn all about it.

It's not just about the threat of suspension, it's about actually losing money.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • danrv
    edited 14 July 2022 at 7:36PM
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    Ok thanks.
    EDIT- just to confirm you have definitely cancelled the first sale haven't you? 

As for couriers, the absolutely only time you will accept a courier is a) if they bring cash or b) buyer agrees to allow courier access to the QR code that ebay sends to them , you need that to prove to ebay that item was collected - so that an INR can be avoided. Personally I dislike couriers collecting anyway- you have no control about when they will collect, you still have to package it all up securely , add labels or whatever and comply with all packing info required by the courier. For me colelction only means just that, buyer or someone with the QR colelction code agree a time, they turn up, they allow you to scan the QR code and they take it away.
    Have cancelled the first sale.
    The courier thing sounds a bit complicated.
    A buyer wants to ‘buy now’ and send one.
    Alternatively, I have a reasonable part exchange quote from a pro audio store that might be a better bet. At least it’s established.
  • danrv
    As a first time seller, I’m finding selling an item on EBay quite time consuming and complicated with messaging back and forth.
    I’m trying to add a buy now option as a request from a prospective buyer. It’s set higher than the offer but I can’t change it as it’s greyed out.
    I think I need to cancel the bids but it’s not clear how to do that.
  • soolin
    danrv said:
    As a first time seller, I’m finding selling an item on EBay quite time consuming and complicated with messaging back and forth.
    I’m trying to add a buy now option as a request from a prospective buyer. It’s set higher than the offer but I can’t change it as it’s greyed out.
    Don’t overcomplicate things, you can’t add a BIN now you have bids, leave it to run with the bids and tell person to bid along with everyone else . If you start cancelling bids and paying extra for a BIN it will just start getting expensive fee wise. 

I would normally suggest people start with a few small easily posted items, get the feel for how it all works. I tend to take a batch of photos, then sit and list, I can do several lots in 15 minutes or so assuming eBay co,operates and accepts the photos first time . 

• danrv
    edited 16 July 2022 at 11:02AM
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    I would normally suggest people start with a few small easily posted items, get the feel for how it all works. 
    Yes, that would have better.
    The enquiries I’ve had on the PA I’m sure are suspect and a hassle to deal with, especially when new to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback