Ebay item sold, now what?

Hi
I’m new to selling on Ebay. I sold a PA system yesterday (collection only) but not sure what happens now.
I have the Ebay app and all details are sorted and assumed that payment would arrive. Just wondering how it works.
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    how did you specify payment in your listing? paypal, cash on collection,etc. if you didn't , then send the buyer a message asking how they intend paying for said item.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, if eBay have advised you that the item's been sold, they should also, if they haven't already, be telling you that the buyer has paid and you can arrange for the buyer to collect the item. Payment should arrive soon. And if it doesn't then obviously, don't arrange any collection. 

However, please do be careful to always contact the buyer via the eBay emailing system and don't go rogue. Then, if anything should go wrong, you'll be covered by eBay's 100% money back guarantee.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    danrv said:
    Hi
    I’m new to selling on Ebay. I sold a PA system yesterday (collection only) but not sure what happens now.
    I have the Ebay app and all details are sorted and assumed that payment would arrive. Just wondering how it works.
    Any help appreciated.
    You can also contact buyer now with collection details to agree a delivery day and time. If you are new to selling though watch for scams, buyer should either be paying via eBay, in which case you will get confirmation when it’s paid but MUST ensure buyer gives you the QR code or numerical code on collection to prevent  a chargeback scam. Alternatively if you also offered cash on collection make sure they pay before they load the item into their car. 

It is up to the buyer to choose how to pay depending on what options you offered. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    clive0510 said:
    how did you specify payment in your listing? paypal, cash on collection,etc. if you didn't , then send the buyer a message asking how they intend paying for said item.
    Good point.
    Didn't specify as I thought Ebay was 
    money transfer only via their system.
  • soolin
    danrv said:
    clive0510 said:
    Good point.
    Didn't specify as I thought Ebay was 
    money transfer only via their system.
    You are correct in that eBay managed payments is compulsory on all listings (apart from motor vehicles) but where an item is collection only, and the auctions et up as collection only then cash on collection can be offered if buyer prefers to pay that way.

paypal has not been an option for sellers for some time now. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • danrv
    Well the item's sold but that's as far as it's got.
    Very slow communication via messages but possible collection next weekend. I do have PayPal but cash on collection would be easier.
    Just not sure if winning a bid is legally binding.
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Technically it is legally binding, but ebayers range between the scrupulously reliable and the absolute ar*e in my 20 years of experience.

For collections items, it's always best to state what time period you will allow for the collection so you can cancel & relist if you end up with a timewaster.
  • soolin
    danrv said:
    Very slow communication via messages but possible collection next weekend. I do have PayPal but cash on collection would be easier.
    I would give the buyer an ultimatum , ‘please collect by XX or confirm that you no longer want the item’. Then if they don’t arrange collection just cancel the sale using ‘problems with buyers address’, remember to block the bidder from trying to bid again. Using a ‘buyer’ excuse to cancel means you get back your FVfs.
  • danrv
    soolin said:
    danrv said:
    I would give the buyer an ultimatum , ‘please collect by XX or confirm that you no longer want the item’. Then if they don’t arrange collection just cancel the sale using ‘problems with buyers address’, remember to block the bidder from trying to bid again. Using a ‘buyer’ excuse to cancel means you get back your FVfs.
    Thanks, will do that.

• danrv
    edited 14 July 2022 at 10:20AM
    I don’t think it’s happening. No response to messages.
    Another bidder was in contact and was enquiring about sending a courier to collect it.
    I may get back in touch and I guess if it’s a distance sale, paying through Ebay would be best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback