We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I need pet insurance if I am also eligible for the PDSA?

Options
13»

Comments

• Lightspeeders
    Options
    Bradden said:
    You seem to be confusing publicly funded healthcare paid via taxation and a charity looking to support those most in need.

As there is no "NHS for pets" This was the closest analogy I could think of - it is not a factual statement - just an analogy.
  • Lightspeeders
    Options
    sheramber said:
    It is advisable to ask your vet which, if any ,companies they will claim direct from.

there are ones known for being reluctant to pay out and refusing claims .Vets have bills to pay like everybody else and need the money promptly.

I have used 4 different vets over the years who have all been happy to claim direct from Petplan.  

This reply is also to sensible Sarah as you both said a similar thing at the end... I am with Pet Plan - and also I have an appoitment for my girl rabbits vaccines on wednesday - Perfect time to ask them :)
  • Lightspeeders
    Options
    I know a couple of pet owners who have had to have their pets put to sleep because the PDSA (who they qualified for) did not offer the specific treatments their pet needed and they couldn't afford the private treatment and didn't have insurance. So at the end of the day, it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. You could put the money you would be paying on insurance aside every month and hope that it something big was needed, you'd have enough saved at that point. You could insure and never need to claim or you could risk it and not insure or save any money towards treatment and keep your fingers crossed that PDSA would do what's needed if something came up. 

It's also worth considering that 99% of private vets will need you to pay for any treatment up front anyway, and then you claim back all but the excess from the insurer. The number of vets that will deal directly with insurers is tiny, regardless of what the insurance company tell you before you sign up. When my cat broke her leg at the start of this year, I had to pay out just under £1k before I got the insurance money back nearly 2 months later, less the excess. Fortunately, I had the money there to do that at the time, but a bill like that a few years back would have put me in real difficulty, even knowing I was likely to get most of it repaid eventually. 

I am hoping that won't be an issue with petplan - but I am asking them on wednesday when my Doe gets her first Vaccines.

Also in terms of the first part - That defo would feel a lot like gambling with my pets lives and health (Obviouslly if someone has no choice because insurance is out of the question - thats a different circumstance) - But as i could have it in place - It would feel like a massive gamble to not have it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Insurance gives peace of mind, even if you never use it.

Like all insurance hose who don't claim pay for those who do.

But, if you are faced with a sudden large bill it can  very reassuring to have insurance to fall back on.

I had one dog who never had a claim in 14 years but I had another who had a claim within 12 months of ownership. It took 10 years of premiums before I had paid the insurance company the amount they paid out.

Petplan paid out more for another one than I paid them for her premiums.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Petplan pay out very quickly in my experience, where it’s straightforwards.
    I’ve never asked my vet to claim directly but the last payout came within a week. Credit card would cover the interim if I didn’t have the savings to pay all in one go. 
    Also worth checking the out of hours emergency cover for your vet as well. Mine changed from a consortium of local vets (reasonably priced) to an expensive state of the art purpose built hospital. 
    An overnight stay for the dog with drips and blood tests but no other treatment cost the best part of £900.  Rabbits are probably less expensive, but something to be aware of. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Lightspeeders
    Options
    My credit rating is so bad I doubt any credit card companies would even look at me until I repair it.

However I am hoping the circumstances - that should I ever need to claim - the vet will be happy to accept it like that.

Also I will be asking them what happens out of hours as well - just in case that's ever needed to.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Since PDSA are providing free treatment to eligible clients I would expect them to cover out of hours  on the same terms- either themselves or by arrangement with another surgery. However, as they use the term 'hospitals' that would indicate 24 hour cover.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure