Fix Up, Look Sharp

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    LOL at uploading the wrong version. We've all been there in some form. 

I'm having garden work done and it is really transforming the place so if you can find someone at the right price worth doing.

Lots of Utube on garden design or you can get books that help you with the basics... 

Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Car thing sounds awful, I was car behind on a cross roads crash about 20 years ago and watched the car in front turn into a fire ball (all out safely), never forgotten it. It burns so fast, really glad he realised and got out quickly.

Garden design ideas, don't forget free online magazines and books via the library for ideas. How big is it, what type of soil, where is the sun etc? I did circles in a small new build that worked well, here we do English romantic squares for the dry stone walls etc.  sometimes the space drives it.
  • Thank goodness your OH was able to get out of and away from the car swiftly - that at least was one good thing. On the insurance thing I can't blame you - they make it so unpalatable to claim now if it can be avoided don't they. On the protected no claims, while it might at least mean not losing any of that, it doesn't in any way stop them increasing premiums subsequently unfortunately so doesn't really come into a "whether to claim" debate in any event. Another thing to be aware of is that you may well find premiums increase regardless sadly - jut on the basis that you've informed them of what happened. Immensely frustrating - they make it so you have to tell them and then penalise you even if no claim has been made. Something I really wish was clamped down on. 

Scariest thing I ever saw on the road was seeing a car that was on the hard shoulder of the motorway get hit at speed by a Luton van that veered off the road. Utterly terrifying - not least going back to it once I'd come safely to a halt wondering what I was going to find inside. My relief when the driver came rushing up to reassure me that there was nobody inside was unbelievable. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • I wouldn't tell insurance if not claiming 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • I wouldn't tell insurance if not claiming 
    Which is fine so long as nobody else tells them, or in a situation where you don't have to remove the car from the policy like GC's situation. (If they subsequently find out that something has occurred that they've not been informed about in most cases it is in the T's & C's that they can terminate the policy and you then have to tick that nasty little box next to the "have you ever had insurance cancelled, or had cover declined" and then things get REALLY expensive! :lol:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • LOL at uploading the wrong version. We've all been there in some form. 

I'm having garden work done and it is really transforming the place so if you can find someone at the right price worth doing.

Lots of Utube on garden design or you can get books that help you with the basics... 

Oh I know! It was such a basic error. But luckily they approved and opened the account for me anyway  :D 

I'll have a look for some youtube garden design accounts, it would be good to get some ideas :) I feel like we are in the archaeology phase at the moment - uncovering the gems underneath the neglect! 
  • Car thing sounds awful, I was car behind on a cross roads crash about 20 years ago and watched the car in front turn into a fire ball (all out safely), never forgotten it. It burns so fast, really glad he realised and got out quickly.

Garden design ideas, don't forget free online magazines and books via the library for ideas. How big is it, what type of soil, where is the sun etc? I did circles in a small new build that worked well, here we do English romantic squares for the dry stone walls etc.  sometimes the space drives it.
    It was really scary just hearing about it on the other end of the phone, I can't imagine what I would have done in DH's position. So glad that he is ok :):smile:

I need to get the full measurements of the garden but it is quite big, and our house sits fairly centrally in the plot so we also have a big front garden. Front garden is south facing and the back garden is north facing, one set of our neighbours have vegetable plots in their front garden which may be something that I copy! 

We're in a valley and our back garden slopes downwards towards the house, with a small patio and (very dodgy and steep) steps going up towards the lawn. In the future we would like to landscape the garden more to have a gentler graduation up through the garden, but this is a consideration for 5-10 years in the future! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback