Soon to be 'old' £20 and the post office

2»

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Most Post Offices are independent businesses, if they decide they don't want to accept old £20 notes that's up to them.
    Only 191 "crown" Post Offices are directly run by Post Office Ltd, the other 11,000+ are either independent franchises or the franchise is run by WHSmiths or similar.

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I had the misfortune to go into an apology for a post office that we now have in my area.  I wanted to post a small parcel to a relative.  We discussed the price options and I chose one.
    Besides an EXTREMELY dour child for an assistant when I went to pay the grand sum of £2.05 the world went into meltdown.
    I offered up my £20 note to be told that couldn't be accepted.
    I had the temerity  to ask why, given it was still legal tender.
    I was then told the Post Office have decided NOT to accept these notes anymore as they had a case somewhere or other at sometime or other where the notes turned out to be fraudulent so their solution was to ban the lot.
    I asked to speak to the manager who then passed the message back to me, via another youngster equally unversed in the principles of customer service, that they were not going to serve me.

I have tried to find a phone number where I can have a conversation (remember those things called conversations?) with an appropriate person about the whole fiasco but have been unable to find one that actually connects to a real live human.

By the way, I went to a different branch today, was served beautifully and courteously and my £20 note was happily accepted.
    How does one get to converse with a senior person at the Post Office or should I do what many are driven to and just give up?
    suggestions anyone? (preferably polite ones please).
    You found the forum and posted. Im sure you can find PO customer service details?
    I would forget trying to get someone 'senior' 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure