Solar Power and an economy 7 meter -should I get a battery, how to use it please?

Options
krissy08
krissy08 Posts: 381 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello all,
I got solar panels 7 years ago because I love the idea of being green but I don't really understand it. I have 28 of them generating approx 3750kwh per year.
Here is a photo of my set up attached. My questions are;
I have an economy 7 meter, for 7 years I have asked to be on a flat rate instead as I read it was more efficient - I don't believe I have a storage battery.
 I am a heavy day user , having worked from home all these years and use very little at night. 30 vs 6 KW per day respectively according to my energy supplier.
Any advice please...
Should I get batteries top store economy 7 power ?
While on the normal pv system I have now (please see photo) should I use revert to the dual rate economy 7 and use more night energy ?

thank you for your patience

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see no sign of a battery in the picture.  You might not be able to add a battery without losing your FIT payments as you will have signed an undertaking not to change the configuration of your solar PV system.  Try the Green and Ethical  board for more advice: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/green-ethical-moneysaving
    Reed
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 June 2022 at 8:01PM
    Options
    There's a thread here where someone bought batteries to make better use of their E7:
    In their case, the financial benefit wasn't at all clear (although there arew other non-financial benefits, eg. a degree of protection against power cuts). Batteries might work out better for you as, for at least half the year, you'll benefit from storing your surplus solar electricity.
    krissy08 said:
    I am a heavy day user , having worked from home all these years and use very little at night. 30 vs 6 KW per day respectively according to my energy supplier.
    Any advice please...
    Do you have a set of day & night meter readings from about a year ago, and another recent set (or you could read them today)? We can see what your annual day/night split is.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • krissy08
    krissy08 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2022 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Hi- Thank you as always QrizB, apologies for the late reply- it's been a busy week.
    I have these meter readings from 2021;
    Customer reading
    DAY R 7th April 2021 63577
    NIGHT R 7th April 2021 12267

for 2022;

1st Apr 2022 Energy Used (Night) 9th Mar 2022 1st Apr 2022.     Energy Used (Day) Standing Charge

NIGHT Customer reading; R 12501.0   

DAY Customer reading; R 65058.0 

Does this help?
    I really appreciate your help with this.
  • QrizB
    Options
    Thanks for the readings.
    Over that almost-a-year you've used 234kWh of night electricity, and 1481kWh of day energy.
    That's roughly 14% on the night rate, such a small amount that you will almost certainly be better off on a single-rate electrity tariff (at least while you don't have a battery).
    If you were to buy a battery (and the thread I linked to earlier gives an idea of the costs) you might be able to get through 6 months of the year without buying much electricity from the grid, asnd the other 6 months you could buy E7 night rate. But battery prices have risen along with everything else recently, so it might not pay for itself for a decade or more.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see no sign of a battery in the picture.  You might not be able to add a battery without losing your FIT payments as you will have signed an undertaking not to change the configuration of your solar PV system.  Try the Green and Ethical  board for more advice: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/green-ethical-moneysaving
    Can the batteries not be installed as a standalone unit, so that there is not change in configuration?  
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It is worth spending a bit of time looking at the need for DNO approval for a battery. Batteries are treated as potential generators as far as the Grid is concerned. For a fee, the DNO will review the proposed installation and the local Grid infrastructure and it may impose a site export limit. Clearly, any AC battery needs to be installed downstream of the solar generation meter.

As I understand it, the above can be avoided if a DC battery is installed on the solar panel side of the inverter. However, the downside of going down the DC battery route is no charging from the grid.

https://www.deegesolar.co.uk/ac_coupling_vs_dc_coupling_solar_battery_storage/
  • QrizB
    Options
    Dolor said:
    Clearly, any AC battery needs to be installed downstream of the solar generation meter.
    Agreed, and all the guidance says the solar PV system (including its generation meter) should be installed on its own dedicated circuit from the consumer unit, with an AC-coupled battery on a separate dedicated circuit.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    However, the downside of going down the DC battery route is no charging from the grid.

I have a DC battery and I can charge from the grid if I want to (although since I am stuck on a single rate tariff there is no point).  On rare occasions, for example if my battery charge gets down to 5% after prolonged cloud in winter, the inverter will charge it up from the grid; it seems to target 15% charge.  The reason this is possible is that my generation meter gives a net (Out - In) reading by default.  I submit the net reading for FIT payments. 
    Reed
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 July 2022 at 1:50PM
    Options
    What is your yearly power Bill? Its worth changing to a single rate, But im not sure its worth spending £3.5-5K to make the grid use less.

Average import is 4.7kwh a day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure