Pension or house equity?


I’m in the middle of a difficult divorce and trying to work out where I can best compromise in our financial agreement: of our marital assets. Assuming I can meet day to day expenses, for my longer term security should I be more willing to give up pension share or house equity?

Which is lower risk, longer term? 

For context: our marital assets are around £650k; we’re 50; own a mortgaged house, spouse earns £100kpa and I currently work as a carer for our disabled child and future earnings will be at best significantly curtailed (PT, low wage).

Thank you for your advice. 


  • PennyForThem_2PennyForThem_2 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I would be inclined to ask this question on the Pensions Board. 

    The question that comes to my mind is the type of pension your wife has (I assume it is her pension share?)  if it is a defined benefit pensionthat could be very valuable.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There's more flexibility with a house normally should you need cash.  You can sell the house at any point if you absolutely have to.  Pensions on the other hand can only be accessed once you reach a certain age and may provide a more certain cash flow at a later age which may very well be handy.  

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

    2023 £1 a day  £54.26/365
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would also repost this on the pensions board, more experts there.
    Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Or maybe here as well
    Marriage, Relationships & Families — MoneySavingExpert Forum

    If you do it would be better to expand on the details. eg
    Would you be giving up equity in the house you live in? How would that work if it is your and your child's home?
    Is it just your Spouses pension involved , or do you have some pension provision as well ? Any idea what type of pension they have ?
    Presume your Spouse will have to commit to regular payments to support you and especially his child as part of any settlement?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools