We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Peony

bouicca21
bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I have a peony that has sentimental value, plus produces wonderful deep red blooms. Or should.

it’s moved with me several times so one of the few things I actually know about gardening is how to move a peony.  My ex, although a good gardener, doesn’t know how to do it, so when he potted it up for me to bring to my new flat he put it on too deep.  However I also know that if planted too deep a peony will recover in time.

mine has had plenty of time to recover.  For the first few years it was a bit sickly but having fed it (wormery compost and worm liquid) this year it is growing quite well - but rather small and hasn’t produced any flowers.

what to do?  Keep feeding but otherwise leave well alone and hope that by next year it will be stronger?  I wonder whether I should move it somewhere more hospitable - it’s currently in full sun close to a bay tree, so dry and with competition for nourishment.

Comments

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seems like a no brainier to move it and plant it at the right depth. If it hasn’t thrived so far, I can’t see why that would change. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback