in Techie Stuff
14 replies 412 views
SicardSicard Forumite
843 Posts
Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
If so, what are the benefits?

TIA
You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

Replies

• SiliconChipSiliconChip Forumite
    794 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have computers with both W10 and W11 and to be honest there is very little visible difference between the two. The main benefit of W11 is that it will receive updates for longer than W10. I would upgrade all of them to W11 but one is a work PC that is locked down so I'm reliant on the IT department to do it and the other is not able to be updated as the processor is not supported.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also Windows 11 doesn't have a Start Menu in the style of Windows 10, though third party apps do exist for this.
    The only problem with third party apps is an update in Windows will either break them, they'll fall out of support/get abandoned/go down other development routes to your disadvantage...

• RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    IMO, yes, it's worth it....Why not?
    Better designed.
    Android Apps integrated.
    Virtual desktops work better.
    Start Menu is better.
    New snap layouts.
    Simpler.
    I'll agree that some of 'better' is subjective. No doubt there are those who won't change for reasons that I'll find ridiculous. That's fine, we are not all the same, but, I would at least give it a go and not rely on others opinion..(Including mine  ;)).
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also Windows 11 doesn't have a Start Menu in the style of Windows 10,

RumRat said:

Start Menu is better.

Confused dot com ...

Presumably, it's a different Start Menu
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    J_B said:
    Also Windows 11 doesn't have a Start Menu in the style of Windows 10,

RumRat said:

Start Menu is better.

Confused dot com ...

Presumably, it's a different Start Menu
    Yes......
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • SiliconChipSiliconChip Forumite
    794 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

Thanks @Neil_Jones, that's helpful to know about. There was another reason why W11 couldn't be installed (some missing software item) so I'd need to run the checker again to confirm what that is and then see if I can find a way round it.
  • SicardSicard Forumite
    843 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Now, supposing I upgraded to W11 and didn't like it, is is easy to revert back to W10?
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sicard said:
    Now, supposing I upgraded to W11 and didn't like it, is is easy to revert back to W10?

Exactly the same way as reverting would have worked going back from 10 to either a previous build or 7/8.  10 day grace period in which to revert.  can be extended if you know what you're doing.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They still call it the Start Menu in W11 and you can shift the icons back to the left of the dock if you wish.
    My thoughts about W11:
    • It's mostly like W10, except some corners are rounded and some icons have had some work on them; the detailed icons jar a bit when set against the simplicity of the rest of the UI.
    • It can be difficult to see where the edges of white overlapping windows are.
    • I had big hopes for the transparency effects, but all you get is blobs of pastel colour based on what's behind.
    • The TPM and CPU requirements are a bit draconian. There are bodges/workarounds, but then you are running at risk; Microsoft could close the loopholes any time.
    Overall, I'd say if it's on a new PC it's fine, but otherwise it's questionable whether it's worth upgrading.
    (Me, I'm a techie, so I bought a new PC to run it on and have a look...)
  • 400ixl400ixl Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have a fully compatible PC then its worth doing the upgrade now as more and more new features are coming to W11 first or even exclusively.

If your PC is not fully compatible and you are not fully technically adapt for any future work arounds you may need to do, then I would suggest staying on W10 as it will be fully supported for a while yet.

W11 interface is a little different to W10, but you soon get used to it and its worth the upgrade now that the worst of the bugs have been ironed out.