Smart Meter

in Energy
11 replies 167 views
mprolfmprolf Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
I am wanting to know if i am able to remove my smart meter and send my meter readings into my supplier manually? I am currently on a 2 year fixed which runs out next year.

Replies

• pochasepochase Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No once a smart meter is installed you cannot go back to a dumb meter. They are not even produced any longer.

It is also very likely that part of your fixed tariff is that you had to agree to a smart meter being installed, so even if it would be  possible to change the meter you might lose your fixed tariff doing so.
  • MobtrMobtr Forumite
    155 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mprolf said:
    I am wanting to know if i am able to remove my smart meter and send my meter readings into my supplier manually? I am currently on a 2 year fixed which runs out next year.
    No, but there is nothing stopping you giving readings yourself especially if the meters aren’t working as smart meters. I’m assuming that’s the reason you want them removing? 
  • mprolfmprolf Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Yes i am forever receiving message telling me my smart meter is having problems sending readings.

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's a good idea to keep your own records anyway - use a small spreadsheet. You will get a better idea of your consumption and when that bill comes after 6 months it won't be a shock
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • mprolfmprolf Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    So how often should i take my own readings and apply to a spreadsheet?
  • edited 23 June at 1:12PM
    pochasepochase Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 June at 1:12PM
    Depends what you want to do with it. While I was trying to save energy and identify where I could reduce it  I did it daily for while, now I am fine with monthly so I am able to compare my monthly usage over a longer time frame.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mprolf said:
    I do mine monthly. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • edited 23 June at 1:20PM
    DolorDolor Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 June at 1:20PM
    mprolf said:
    If you have an IOS (Apple) device, you can save yourself a lot of time by investing in the App ‘Meter Readings’.

Have you asked your supplier whether it has identified what the issue is with your smart meters?  It could be a number of things: the meters may not have been been firmware upgraded to enable them to connect to the DCC Network; your comms hub may not be connecting to the network either because the hub is faulty or you are out of radio/mobile range; there may be a meter firmware issue etc

• Alnat1Alnat1 Forumite
    422 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does your energy company have the option to give manual monthly readings even though you have Smart meters? If so, do oi and keep everything up to date
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mprolf said:
    Yes i am forever receiving message telling me my smart meter is having problems sending readings.

Who is your supplier ?     Someone on the forum will know the best way of resolving non-communicating Smart meters - you will be wasting your time contacting the usual customer service -  you need to go higher
    Never pay on an estimated bill