We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

British Gas

Options
2»

Comments

• StartledJesus
    Options
    @pochase BG have used annual elec usage of 4650 kWH for their illustration. Thanks.

I'm with EDF for gas. 
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Here you go

The predications that Cornwall Insights published today also for April and July 2023 had the price for electricity slightly higher than 40p. If this would be correct you would only lose the money for the higher cost for July to September compared to the current SVT. If we assume the same electricity use every month you would pay £110 additional for the 3 months, so it would take you over 5 months to start saving. 

That is really a very slim margin.

• StartledJesus
    Options
    @pochase Thanks for that. 
  • goldygash
    goldygash Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @pochase
    hoping you can help me understand how to calculate the % increase, as trying to decide whether to fix for my elderly parents.  Currently with British Gas on variable, but 2 fixes were available.  Is the % increase calculated against the April price cap and does it factor in any exit fees?  

Any help in understanding how to calculate the % increase would be much appreciated ☺️

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options
    Your table looks good already and you have done everything you need.

Deduct the total cost SVT from the total cost of the fix. Divide the result by the total cost of the SVT and multiply by 100 and you have the percentage.

Example from your table:
    2199-1659=540
    540/1659=0.325497
    0.325497*100=32.55%

Important is what you have done, to do the calculation on usage as the deal might be better or worse depending how high the usage is or what the relation between gas and electricity is. The same deal might be for somebody else 30% or 35%.
  • midgleymouse
    Options
    I tried to get the British Gas fix for existing customers as mentioned in Martin’s email. They told me it was only available for people on their old systems and so I couldn’t get it. I pointed out to them that they had moved me to their”new” systems without any notice and that I wasn’t aware there was a choice. Their new system is totally useless as it only displays your monthly direct debit & what your credit/ debit is. For a old bills etc I have to go back to their old system to see those. The fix available is obviously restricted to a select group of customers, it would be interesting to know who those customers are who are still on their old system.

• jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    This thread was started by @debdob29. Since then a few others have chimed in with their own questions, nothing to do with debdob29's question. debdob29's consumption is seemingly ridiculously high, and people here want to help find out why. Could other people start their own threads so we can focus on one thing at a time.
  • Steveg18sept
    Options
    My 'July 2023' Fixed offer from British Gas was approx. 30% increase on my current variable rates on Wednesday.  This is on the British Gas app. When I went in yesterday to take up the offer, it's now changed to a 'Nov 2023' Fixed offer, and the rates are approx. 60% above my current variable rates!! 
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 June 2022 at 10:46AM
    Options
    My 'July 2023' Fixed offer from British Gas was approx. 30% increase on my current variable rates on Wednesday.  This is on the British Gas app. When I went in yesterday to take up the offer, it's now changed to a 'Nov 2023' Fixed offer, and the rates are approx. 60% above my current variable rates!! 
    If you have been a customer of theirs for a long time I would suggest calling them direct and seeing if they will honour the July 2023 fix it that suits your needs.

Sadly a lot of deals are being pulled as the situation with wholesale market price predictions worse with the news from Russian and the world.

Good luck👍
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport