Question on a Joint Bank Account and absent ( fled the country ) ex partner

Hopefully, this is the correct forum but please feel free to remove if not.

My daughter's ex partner is a Chinese national who was in the UK as a student.

They had a joint account ( at his behest ) and as these things go he all but emptied it leaving just over £200 in it, just before he skipped bail. This was 9 years ago, my daughter had forgotten about it but recently received a statement of balance on the account.

Are there any steps she can take , i.e. contact Lloyds to gain access to the account?

He won't be coming back as he's banned from the UK for various offences :  ABH ( he attacked my daughter and young grandchild ),  falsifying a marriage certificate to show he was married to her ( he most certainly was not! ), various driving offences and selling of fake licences to students, and the taxman were chasing him for non payment of taxes on earnings of over £345K.

Quite how he got bail and was allowed to leave the UK was beyond both us and the police, but he did under the false premise that his father was dying in Shangahi and he needed to be there for his last days.

We/ve not heard from him for just over 9 years and have no idea where he is in China.

Are there any steps we can take to approach Lloyds ?  It's not a lot of money but our daughter is disabled and every penny counts for her and her daughter.

Thank you.


  • DE_612183DE_612183 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If it's joint account hasn't she got a debit card for it?
    Or can she get one, and just pay for stuff until the balance is zero?
  • pramsay13pramsay13 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If it's a joint account it is hers as well so she can access it as normal.
    If she doesn't have access or a card contact the bank to request it.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    31.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    And once she has cleared it, if she can't close it, get a restriction put on it so that all transactions require both signatures.

    Prevents him getting imaginative and running up an overdraft.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If it is a joint account then she should be able to access it abnd withdraw the money. She can't then close it without his cooperation but can freeze it so that he can't return and run up an overdraft. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools