Martin Lewis: The one thing everyone aged over 66 needs to know

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• edited 17 June at 3:33PM
    roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 June at 3:33PM
    Your getting old?
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    roddydogs said:
    Your getting old?

*You're . . .  and you're just being facetious. 
    Please note that comments are strictly my own opinion, intended to help - never hinder. If they do not help then please ignore as the intention of the forum is to help everyone, if possible. MSE forum rules clearly state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." It's always best to verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per the Forum rules.
  • Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    713 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ‘………. and have total weekly income under roughly £200’

It’s about pension credit and this ^ is missing from the click bait headline. 
  • iainrtiainrt Forumite
    3 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    my wife and i are both pensioners. She has income below £200, mine is above. Why are we treated as a couple and not treated individually, as we both have individual pensions ?
  • Northernlass47Northernlass47 Forumite
    1 Post
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I foolishly worked full-time and managed to get some savings. My income now is low enough to receive Pension Credit as I receive DLA and AA as I have 2 debilitating illnesses, but because I have these savings (not massive) I cannot get Pension Credit. My neighbour has never worked since she was 50 living on benefits, she receives Pension Credits and in the 2 years she has lived here has spent £s  on getting a perfectly good bungalow to how she wanted it. When she got her Attendance Allowance award she not only received it once but again was awarded the same amount onto here Pension Credit. It is so unfair and it is useless me trying to hide my savings, they can be traced.
  • ollythecollieollythecollie Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Martin was looking for a rhyme.  How about don't decline, get online where decline serves as both turning down the offer and becoming worse off, financially and healthwise, through being cold and hungry.
  • spaceshuttlelizspaceshuttleliz Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    I applied for my Mothers Pension Credit on 10th February this year.  You get through to a triage centre first and I have now called them roughly 12 times.  They tell you that they will try to put you through to the Pension Credit Team and that you may have to wait 3 minutes, each time you call.  If they cannot get you through they tell you that they will get one of the PC team to call you back within a specific time frame.  The last time I called them I eventually got through (with persistence) and the guy I spoke to said "I don't know why they tell you we will call you back, it is not our policy to call anyone back".  My Mom is still waiting, she fled an abusive marriage in her 70's, has no money to live on and if she weren't living with me, I don't know what would happen.  5 months we have been waiting.  My Mother is lucky as she does have me, but there are thousands of our elderly folk who have no one :(