Tax Rebate

Options
Has anyone had any dealings with Rebate Gateway. Last year I enquired on there website after a Google search looking for tax back off ppi or bank charges, from there website I thought they was part of HMRC. There website looks very similar, using same colours and fonts etc. At the end of the enquiry it said this information given is all correct. What I didn't realise was I was signing up to a third party. I received no paperwork or correspondence from them and just forgot about it. I had my end of year showing what I had paid etc. In there it said I had paid to much and was due £916 or around that amount. A week later I had a letter from Rebate gateway saying they had got me a tax Refund and sent me an invoice for around £454. At that time I realised I had somehow signed up to a third party company, so I sent a cancellation to cancel everything. They accepted my cancellation request but got quite aggressive and threatening saying that if they didn't receive there fee they would take me to court. They have now contacted HMRC and they have sent my Rebate to them which now they have taken there fee and now I have to fill a form so I can reclaim the remainder. Since all this we have had a family member suddenly pass away and are now struggling to pay for the funeral. I was hoping that this would help go towards the funeral. I am so mad with myself that I got involved with this company. I had just lost my job when I joined up with them so wasn't in a great place.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are not alone . Many similar posts about similar companies.

Ensure that HMRC  have cancelled any authority for them to deal with your affairs in future.
  • DarkStrider28
    Options
    Yeah I will definitely make sure do not want them getting anymore off me for sure.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,712 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your relative.

You are not responsible for the cost of their funeral, this will come out of their estate. If there is no money in their estate then the local council or hospital if that was where they died will arrange and pay fo funeral
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

You are not responsible for the cost of their funeral, this will come out of their estate. If there is no money in their estate then the local council or hospital if that was where they died will arrange and pay fo funeral
    Wrong forum????
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,712 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JGB1955 said:

Wrong forum????
    Read this part of the original post

Since all this we have had a family member suddenly pass away and are now struggling to pay for the funeral. I was hoping that this would help go towards the funeral. I am so mad with myself that I got involved with this company. I had just lost my job when I joined up with them so wasn't in a great place.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • DarkStrider28
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I don't think there will be anything from the estate unfortunately. This was just to vent and to warn people what they may be signing up for and to not make the same mistake I did. Although from the reviews there is a lot of people in similar positions who have been taken for a ride. I did some digging with HMRC and it turs out that rebate gateway were applying for some tax expenses which equaled to about £120 and I started a new job in January and have bee on an emergency tax code, so I would of received the full amount anyway. So they have taken half of my money and had to do nothing. Even though they tried to say to me that I wouldn't have had this if it wasn't for them. So be carful.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 June 2022 at 7:56PM
    Options
    If HMRC have sent the refund to this company because they hold a "deed of assignment" then you cannot revoke that without the express agreement of the third party company.

You can stop HMRC sending copies of correspondence to the third party company and they will no longer be able to act on your behalf but the deed is a legally binding agreement and any tax refund due for any of the tax years it covers has to be sent to them, even if they are no longer your tax agent. 

This includes any tax refunds for those years which come to light in the future.
  • DarkStrider28
    Options
    Yeah I saw that after all this happened and did some more research. I called HMRC and they have told me to write to cancel to Rebate Gateway and to HMRC. I honestly wish these companies were properly regulated like Banks etc, they use very misleading websites and its not very clear what you are agreeing to. Most things are written in small print. No paperwork to sign or any information as confirmation. I honestly have no idea how they can get away with ripping people off. A very hard lesson learned for sure. 
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    Yeah I saw that after all this happened and did some more research. I called HMRC and they have told me to write to cancel to Rebate Gateway and to HMRC. I honestly wish these companies were properly regulated like Banks etc, they use very misleading websites and its not very clear what you are agreeing to. Most things are written in small print. No paperwork to sign or any information as confirmation. I honestly have no idea how they can get away with ripping people off. A very hard lesson learned for sure. 
    It's not misleading.

They offered to claim your tax back and they did.

If you employed an accountant to do the same would you claim they also misled you?
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having just Googled this company all the information is easy to read.

Rebate Gateway Limited is a fee charging tax consultancy business. You are able to make a claim via HMRC directly yourself, using forms available to you from ...

Rebate Gateway Limited is a fee charging tax consultancy ...

We are Rebate Gateway Limited, a company incorporated in ...

The first part of your post says, Last year I enquired on there website after a Google search looking for tax back off ppi or bank charges.

Both of these could easily be achieved by searching the MSE site. For me it all comes down to how much time you wish to spend dealing with the problem.

3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure