What 0% balance transfer offers are there from various banking groups?

I have a number of 0% balance transfer cards (Virgin, Tesco, HSBC, Santander) plus a number that were 0% that I have paid off (Lloyds, Halifax, MBNA). Does anybody have suggestions for other banking groups that might offer me a 0% balance transfer with 12 months or more?

I realise that it's probably too early to think about moving it yet but I want to shift £6K from a Virgin card that is 0% until February 2023 & while I do have a card with a £15K credit limit & a 0% offer until July 2023 it's unfortunately another Virgin credit card & of course I cannot do a balance transfer from one Virgin card to another.

Comments

• Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,617
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do your Lloyds or Halifax cards currently have a no-fee BT offer on them with a lowish interest rate (mine usually do)? You could transfer the balance from your old Virgin card onto one of those, then immediately transfer it from there onto the other Virgin card, and only pay a day or two of interest, although probably not worth it just to extend the 0% by 5 months. Just a thought.
  • You should use the eligibility checker, different lenders have different offers, not all of which may be available for you?
  • DBdoobydoo
    DBdoobydoo Posts: 120
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2022 at 9:48AM
    You should use the eligibility checker, different lenders have different offers, not all of which may be available for you?

The eligibility checker is rubbish. It says I have no chance of a 0% card but going directly to Santander I got a card with zero cost 0% balance transfer for 18 months & a £15K credit limit while going directly to HSBC I got a card with 1% transfer cost & 0% for 27 months with a £9K credit limit.

I am looking for suggestions of other banking groups to check eligibility directly. There is no point checking with other brands of the same groups that I already have a card with so I wanted to know if others had suggestions for cards where there is a stand-alone eligibility checker so I don't make fruitless applications affecting my credit score.

I'm probably jumping the gun as the earliest one of my 0% balances expires is February 2023 but if I could another card or two like the Santander or HSBC cards then it would be worthwhile.
  • DBdoobydoo
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2022 at 9:52AM
    Do your Lloyds or Halifax cards currently have a no-fee BT offer on them with a lowish interest rate (mine usually do)? You could transfer the balance from your old Virgin card onto one of those, then immediately transfer it from there onto the other Virgin card, and only pay a day or two of interest, although probably not worth it just to extend the 0% by 5 months. Just a thought.
    You are right with my 0% not expiring until February 2023 I'm probably jumping the gun. I should wait until nearer the expiration of the offer before trying to find another offer but if I could another card or two like the Santander or HSBC cards then it would be worthwhile.

I just took a look at all my Lloyds group cards & they all say that there are no balance transfer offers.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,617
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

I just took a look at all my Lloyds group cards & they all say that there are no balance transfer offers.

That's odd. Both of mine seem to have a perpetual offer of 4.9% APR with no fee, on both money transfers and balance transfers. Occasionally one of the offers disappears from one of the cards, but it's usually back the following month.

The only other one I could suggest would be Sainsbury's, but you're not guaranteed to get the 0% offer, and I have read a lot of reports of people having issues with Sainsbury's cards, so this is by no means a recommendation!
  • have you looked at barclaycard, they had 27 months 0% offer on quite recently.  MBNA also had some decent offers on
  • You should use the eligibility checker, different lenders have different offers, not all of which may be available for you?

The eligibility checker is rubbish. It says I have no chance of a 0% card but going directly to Santander I got a card with zero cost 0% balance transfer for 18 months & a £15K credit limit while going directly to HSBC I got a card with 1% transfer cost & 0% for 27 months with a £9K credit limit.

I am looking for suggestions of other banking groups to check eligibility directly. There is no point checking with other brands of the same groups that I already have a card with so I wanted to know if others had suggestions for cards where there is a stand-alone eligibility checker so I don't make fruitless applications affecting my credit score.

I'm probably jumping the gun as the earliest one of my 0% balances expires is February 2023 but if I could another card or two like the Santander or HSBC cards then it would be worthwhile.
    Eligibility varies depending on soft checks

You don't have a credit score, ignore the gimmick number

The MSE eligibility checked at least gives you ideas of current offers, or look on the MSE BT card page which lists offers. If you don't want to look it up yourself - Sainsburys, NatWest/RBS, M&S all offer them as well as Barclays as mentioned above
  • DBdoobydoo
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2022 at 12:38PM
    You should use the eligibility checker, different lenders have different offers, not all of which may be available for you?

The MSE eligibility checked at least gives you ideas of current offers, or look on the MSE BT card page which lists offers. If you don't want to look it up yourself - Sainsburys, NatWest/RBS, M&S all offer them as well as Barclays as mentioned above

I do literally have a credit score as that is what the credit reference agencies tell me I have. This is a reflection of how likely lenders will fancy lending to me. In particular as I have discovered & posted in another thread Transunion & Experian overstate my credit card indebtedness by 33% while Equifax have it listed correctly presumably why they have my credit score as Good while for Transunion it's Fair & for Experian it's Poor. It seems likely that this is the reason why Santander & HSBC were happy to give me generous 0% offers is that they both used Equifax.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79271316

I do literally have a credit score as that is what the credit reference agencies tell me I have. This is a reflection of how likely lenders will fancy lending to me. In particular as I have discovered & posted in another thread Transunion & Experian overstate my credit card indebtedness by 33% while Equifax have it listed correctly presumably why they have my credit score as Good while for Transunion it's Fair & for Experian it's Poor. It seems likely that this is the reason why Santander & HSBC were happy to give me generous 0% offers is that they both used Equifax.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79271316

You've been suckered into believing the gimmick "score" from the CRAs means anything. It is not a reflection of anything, nobody but you ever sees it
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,197
    Forumite

The eligibility checker is rubbish…
    It may never have been comprehensive, but now there are fewer deals around it is more obvious that it misses some out. I would suggest you also look elsewhere, I use the MSE credit club and Topcashback and have found deals through them that weren’t showing on the main MSE site. Currently for example I'm pre approved for a 15 month 0% fee card on the Credit club list, the card in question doesn't appear on the main site.

What I would say in defence of the main site is that I think their goal is to help people clear expensive debt in the life of one CC deal, so following that a 30 month card with low fee is 'better' than a 15 month with no fee. If you are happy to rinse and repeat (or are stoozing and have the money available to repay) the 15 month deal is better. I think, unless savings interest dramatically improves, I will give up on all my stoozing when my current deals end over the next 6 - 18 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback