Possible Redundancy around the corner

Evening

Like others may be expereiencing, I  have reason to believe redundanacy could be around the corner in my role. I have been in my role for nearly 10 years ( anniversary within 6 days ). However, like with everything else in the world, the company has gone through a lot of changes in the last two years =covid 19, movement to new offices, new systems and processes in place. New people have come in and some have left- not uncommon I know.

Anyway recently our dept was hit by the shock resignation of three members of staff within the space of a month + the resignation of a staff member who was on long term sick leave. The first three left due to other job opportunities that came their way. 

As a result the company has found it difficult to find suitable people in London and as a result has shifted the four roles to Sheffield, leaving me and another colleague, team leader and manager based in London. As expected management are paying us lip service stating our jobs our safe, but only for the time being I think. At the moment, the four of us are managing a 8 person workload until the new staff come in, which will be at various stages in the next 4-6 weeks. 

To me, I am alarmed they are shifting 50% + of the work to another department. However working for an IT reseller where an onsite presence is not really required as part of the role for the majority of the time so it could work out. However if it takes longer than expected for new staff to become accustomed to our way of working, the system etc, or they don't stick around, then I think the business will consider shifting our roles up North too. I was thinking about approaching HR but fear they will tell me what i want to hear and will not really divulge what is going on at baord level.

Worst case scenario, they make the call to shift our roles up North, then I think they will look to make me and my colleague redundant, either volunaariyy or involuntairly. So if they offer me redundancy and they offer me a relocation package and I decline because I have to remain in London to be near to my elderly mother, is that classed as involunatary redundancy ?. I ask because I have unemployment insurance and that will only pay out if I am made involuntary redundant. So when I leave the company , through no fault of my own, I'll get the pay out +12 months unemployment insurance ( 80% of gross income I believe) which will buy me some time whilst i sort myself out with alternative employment.  

just want to sense check my thinking so I know what to expect.

thanks. 

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,735
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Habib2342 said:
    Evening

Like others may be expereiencing, I  have reason to believe redundanacy could be around the corner in my role. I have been in my role for nearly 10 years ( anniversary within 6 days ). However, like with everything else in the world, the company has gone through a lot of changes in the last two years =covid 19, movement to new offices, new systems and processes in place. New people have come in and some have left- not uncommon I know.

Anyway recently our dept was hit by the shock resignation of three members of staff within the space of a month + the resignation of a staff member who was on long term sick leave. The first three left due to other job opportunities that came their way. 

As a result the company has found it difficult to find suitable people in London and as a result has shifted the four roles to Sheffield, leaving me and another colleague, team leader and manager based in London. As expected management are paying us lip service stating our jobs our safe, but only for the time being I think. At the moment, the four of us are managing a 8 person workload until the new staff come in, which will be at various stages in the next 4-6 weeks. 

To me, I am alarmed they are shifting 50% + of the work to another department. However working for an IT reseller where an onsite presence is not really required as part of the role for the majority of the time so it could work out. However if it takes longer than expected for new staff to become accustomed to our way of working, the system etc, or they don't stick around, then I think the business will consider shifting our roles up North too. I was thinking about approaching HR but fear they will tell me what i want to hear and will not really divulge what is going on at baord level.

Worst case scenario, they make the call to shift our roles up North, then I think they will look to make me and my colleague redundant, either volunaariyy or involuntairly. So if they offer me redundancy and they offer me a relocation package and I decline because I have to remain in London to be near to my elderly mother, is that classed as involunatary redundancy ?. I ask because I have unemployment insurance and that will only pay out if I am made involuntary redundant. So when I leave the company , through no fault of my own, I'll get the pay out +12 months unemployment insurance ( 80% of gross income I believe) which will buy me some time whilst i sort myself out with alternative employment.  

just want to sense check my thinking so I know what to expect.

thanks. 
    Depends.

Do you have a mobility obligation in your contract?

If you don't then refusing a transfer from London to Sheffield isn't "unreasonably refusing suitable alternative work" (compared to, eg, a transfer to somewhere a similar commuting distance to your existing workplace)

If you do then, you could try and argue that it is " completely unreasonable" for you to transfer because of your mother. Ultimately that could come down to a tribunal and is more likely to fly if you are a carer for her rather than just because she is just old but still healthy

https://www.gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights

• Habib2342
    Habib2342 Posts: 137
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just re-read my contract and it states the following

Place of Work

1 your normal place of work is ******* or such other place as we may reasonably determine.

2. Your are not required to work outside the United Kingdom as part of your normal duites. Certain personnel may move from time to time, having been given reasonable notice whenever practiable , be require to undertake overseas visits. Such individuals will be informed of the purpose for the visit and what is expected of them prior to the visit taking place.

Spoke to a freind of mine, and he said I shouldn't be concerned as the jobs have shifted to another UK city . He said that I should only be worried if they outsource the jobs to Manila, Phillipenees where the company has an office and a finance support team already in place.

I guess I'll see how it plays out and keep an eye out for other roles out there as the job market is hotting up at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback