British Gas Tariffs

Options
6mo7ze
6mo7ze Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, 
I’m currently on the standard non-fixed with British Gas and have been offered the following fixed tariffs with them. Are they worth switching to? Thanks 

Comments

• wrf12345
    wrf12345 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no info on the actual unit rates and s/c's until you click on the tariff info tab (which we can not do), and typical of the industry to not show such rates upfront.
  • 6mo7ze
    6mo7ze Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2022 at 12:17PM
    Options
    wrf12345 said:
    There is no info on the actual unit rates and s/c's until you click on the tariff info tab (which we can not do), and typical of the industry to not show such rates upfront.
    Apologies, I didn’t realise.

Here are the unit rates for the cheapest on the list:

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    MSE seem to think that BG's "Exclusive Jul 23v2" is worth considering:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/-are-there-any-cheap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/
    If you're comfortable with the risk that the winter's prices could end up higher than forecast, you can stick with the variable tariff. If you'd prefer the certainty of a fixed rate, that deal is better than many.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • xzibit
    xzibit Posts: 660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2022 at 9:06PM
    Options
    I’ve been offered this deal also. Considering it. The email states that there are no exit fees to change tariff so long as you don’t change suppliers. Does this mean if we chose it, then in October it didn’t look like a smart move we can go back to the variable tariff for free?
    Also I assume if we fix now, we will be paying quite a bit over the odds until the coming October rise? 
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    Options
    xzibit said:
    I’ve been offered this deal also. Considering it. The email states that there are no exit fees to change tariff so long as you don’t change suppliers. Does this mean if we chose it, then I’m October it didn’t look like a smart move we can go back to the variable tariff for free?
    also assume if we fix now, we will be paying quite a bit over the odds until the coming October rise? 
    Yes that is what it means you can switch to an other British Gas tariff without an exit fee.
  • QrizB
    Options
    xzibit said:
    Also I assume if we fix now, we will be paying quite a bit over the odds until the coming October rise? 
    You can work out how much extra it will cost between now and October, it might not be very much. I've just written it up for a different thread but here's a link:
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • fly-catchers
    fly-catchers Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For me on the same deal. The gas is more than 35% working out at 43.5%. With the electricity about 34.5% higher than the current Variable rate. So that's not such a good deal. With the exit fees being charged even if I moved to another BG deal. But guess if the Cap rate goes up again in January. And unlikely to drop much if at all in April might still be worth it.
  • QrizB
    Options
    For me on the same deal. The gas is more than 35% working out at 43.5%. With the electricity about 34.5% higher than the current Variable rate. So that's not such a good deal.
    Sounds as though you've ignored the standing charges in those % calculations.
    Electricity:
    • SVT - 2900kWh x 28.34p/kWh + 365 days x 45.34p/day = £987.35
    • Fix - 2900kWh x 36.676p/kWh + 365 days x 54.292p/day = £1261.77
    Fix is 28% more expensive than the current variable.
    Gas:
    • SVT - 12000kWh x 7.37p/kWh + 365 days x 27.2p/day = £983.68
    • Fix - 12000kWh x 10.530p/kWh + 365 days x 30.645p/day = £1375.45
    Fix is 40% more expensive than the current variable.
  • warwickbears
    Options
    Must confess as soon as I saw the news a few weeks ago about the anticipated hike in October, I took the May23 fixed rate. Gut feel is the relative certainty is worth the short term hike, particularly as the additional spend above the variable rate is during the summer months.
  • kitla
    kitla Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am with BG & have just been trawling through tariff comparisons with much scribbling  & calculating & have come to the conclusion that for us (quite high users of gas & elec), firstly there is no better deal for us than BG. Secondly, if my calculations are correct, leaving us on the variable rate for the next 12 months will work out about the same (even a teeny bit less)as moving to the best rate 1 yr fix on offer (loyalty v2 june) I took into account the cost of 4 months until the price rise of approx 46% in October. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback