Wrong product. Supplier will no accept ownership or refund

Options

Comments

• Ms_MMM
    Ms_MMM Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi 
    I am going to chance returning and pay for the postage. I did spot a website for a CEO yesterday and will send an email.
    This is obviously happening to others. Someone has a jacket and not a sports bra. Not sure if they are happy.

I should have read the Trustpilot reviews as they were not good for customer service and certainly demonstrate a lack of ownership.

It's the principle of the issue and not the value of the product that's making me irritable. Will lose more time dealing with it and probably lose the postage but going to do it.

Thanks to you and all for the advice
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just be aware that if you return the sports bra, they'll reject the return (i.e. won't refund you) - because you haven't returned a "jacket". 🙄

(Just giving you the heads-up that you haven't even won a battle yet, never mind the war).
    Jenni x
  • Ms_MMM
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Jenni,
    Do you mean they will send it back and charge me?
  • Jenni_D
    edited 8 June 2022 at 4:03PM
    Options
    I mean they'll do nothing with it, and reject your refund request because you didn't return a jacket. (The fact they didn't send one in the first place is irrelevant as far as they are concerned - the order says jacket so that's what they'll require back).

How much was the jacket and how did you pay? (Debit card? Credit card? Paypal? Other?)
    Jenni x
  • Ms_MMM
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Jenni,
    I paid £19.99 by debit card. Regret not paying with a credit card now as I am sure I could dispute a part payment.
    Do I give up and donate the item to charity? So mad that SportsDirect have no escalation process. I wonder if I can ask for the CCTV footage? It was not the couriers fault. It was SD Warehouse and Quality Control.
    What makes me mad is the product could have been a bigger value and I would still be treated the same.
  • Jenni_D
    Options
    You can do a chargeback on your debit card. Paying by credit card is irrelevant unless the cost of the item (not a whole order of items) is £100 or more - under £100 then you still use chargeback with a credit card.
    Jenni x
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As @Jenni_D says, don't just send it back as that will get you nowhere.  And you've given them back the evidence they sent you the wrong item!

Is it the jacket alone that cost £19.99, or is that the total value of the whole order?

If you bought by debit card, go back to your issuing bank and tell them you want to raise a chargeback claim.  I know you say they've already told you that they can't chargeback a part payment, but challenge them to tell you why they can't do that.

If the bank still refuses, come back here with the explanation.  There are other posters here who know more about the chargeback regs than I do.
  • Ms_MMM
    First Post
    Options
    The order was less than £100 and I did receive the other items okay. I I will try the bank again as I never heard of a chargeback claim.
    This is really helpful. Big thanks to Jenni and Manxman

• Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2022 at 1:49AM
    Options
    Hi @Ms_MMM -  check out this guide to chargebacks:  Debit & credit card chargeback: protection on faulty goods - MSE (moneysavingexpert.com)

Explain to your bank that you ordered various items online from Sports Direct but that in respect of one of the items you ordered (a jacket costing £19.99 - or whatever the jacket cost), Sports Direct actually supplied the wrong item (a bra) which is of no use to you.  Explain further that Sports Direct are refusing to replace the incorrect item with the correct item.  Make it absolutely clear to your bank what the problem is.  [Edit:  And make it clear you want your bank to do a chargeback]

Tell them that you want a refund of £19.99 to your debit card representing the price of the jacket that you ordered from Sports Direct and paid for, but which Sports Direct did not supply.

Be aware that under chargeback Sports direct will have an opportunity to challenge and reverse any refund your bank makes to you.  Just in case they do, keep any emails or texts you might have from Sports Direct advising you to contact your bank.  It won't guarantee the success of a chargeback, but it might help.

If your bank says "No", come back here to see if any other posters have advice.  I don't particularly like chargeback - some of the rules are plain stupid - but I know that other posters here do understand better than me what you can and can't get back under chargeback.

Incidentally, despite Sports Direct having a bad reputation generally, I've never had any problems buying from them instore.  But I wouldn't buy online from them.  But I suspect you know that already... !
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ms_MMM said:
    Hi Jenni,
    I paid £19.99 by debit card. Regret not paying with a credit card now as I am sure I could dispute a part payment.
    Do I give up and donate the item to charity? So mad that SportsDirect have no escalation process. I wonder if I can ask for the CCTV footage? It was not the couriers fault. It was SD Warehouse and Quality Control.
    What makes me mad is the product could have been a bigger value and I would still be treated the same.

Retailers don't need to have a complaints department, let alone an escalation process. You can ask for the CCTV, however they can refuse as you have no right to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback