Money Moral Dilemma: Should I get my brother a cheaper cupboard and use the money saved for fuel?

Options

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As always there is a lack of detail. There is no detail on wether the brother drives or not, or if there is any reciprocity for this kind of thing. No detail either if the OP will be travelling to (or to somewhere near) the brother anyway. It does seem that the brother may be taking advantage from the scant details provided
  • honestcove
    honestcove Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting question!

1/ if the brother doesn’t drive or hasn’t got a car - not so interesting - usual answers on family/friends wanting your help at a cost to you but no cost to them.

2/ if brother does have a car then we have a maths dilemma. More interesting as basic maths is the foundation of money management. So, my question to all of you is: if each brother starts and ends their journey at their own home, who has the longest overall journey?
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 June 2022 at 10:39AM
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My brother wants to buy a cupboard from a well-known furniture retailer. Delivery's £40, but I live close to a store so he's asked me to buy it for him and drive it the 50 miles to his house! I've seen the same cupboard for collection for half the price on an online marketplace. Should I get that for him and keep the money saved to pay for my petrol, and my time?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    :/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    Communicate with him.

He might not want a second hand furniture.
  • mumsy238
    Options
    Discuss it with you brother, and suggest you split the difference after your costs have been met. Win- win.
  • Rudmeister22
    Options
    You should go for the cheaper cupboard from the online market place. It may mean your brother will have a longer wait and perhaps it won’t be in very good condition but if all else fails you could use this opportunity to burn it as firewood and this way you’d save money on fuel too 👍
  • grandmafromnorth
    Options
    Again, not really a dilemma. Just talk to him. 
  • primrose_penguin
    Options
    No definitely not. You can tell your brother you have seen what you think is the same cabinet for a cheaper price elsewhere (as long as it is new, also you don't say how far away it is to collect that one) and leave the decision to him. Whichever one he ends up buying, either the one he originally wanted from the furniture store near you or the cheaper one then just ask him just for the cost of the petrol to deliver it, surely he would not quibble about that knowing how expensive fuel is at the moment. Don't charge him for your time, he is your brother and hopefully he would do the same for you if needed.
  • Ringo90
    Ringo90 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you really asking us if you should scam your brother by letting him pay full price for a used item and keep the difference money??
    This is the most ridiculous question I've ever seen here.
    Ask him if he wants the used one instead, and whatever he decides just ask for the petrol money, or a drink on him or whatever.
    People, really...
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's online, surely he can order it himself and get it delivered to his? Tell him about it and let him decide..if he still wants the store one, then just take it to him and make a day of it. Defrauding your own brother is not a good look.
  • MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marisco said:
    If it's online, surely he can order it himself and get it delivered to his? Tell him about it and let him decide..if he still wants the store one, then just take it to him and make a day of it. Defrauding your own brother is not a good look.
    I gather from the query that the brother is well aware of the delivery service but doesn't want to pay the £40 because OP lives near the shop and can collect it instead. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback