Money Moral Dilemma: Should I get my brother a cheaper cupboard and use the money saved for fuel?

MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My brother wants to buy a cupboard from a well-known furniture retailer. Delivery's £40, but I live close to a store so he's asked me to buy it for him and drive it the 50 miles to his house! I've seen the same cupboard for collection for half the price on an online marketplace. Should I get that for him and keep the money saved to pay for my petrol, and my time?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've asked my friend a few times to drive me to a well known furniture retailer to save the £40 delivery fee but it's less than 5 miles from my house and I always buy them lunch as a thanks. If I were you I certainly wouldn't drive 50 miles (and 50 miles back) if there was no return of the favour or costs covered.

I also wouldn't buy an second hand one and keep the money, just tell him no or that he has to cover your costs or that he owes you one. 
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Of course you shouldn’t do that. 

Asking your brother if he wants the cheaper one would be sensible. Alternatively I assume at some point you socially visit him so buy it full price and next time you see him take it with you. 
  • CapricornLass
    CapricornLass Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I don't think you should buy the cupboard from the online market place without consulting your brother first.  And where-ever you buy it, I would be negotiating  an amount for fuel costs first, at a rate of 40p per mile as per HMRC rules, or else as JReacher1 suggests he gets it whenever either of you visit the other first.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • JamesyMac
    JamesyMac Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ask him to contribute to your petrol. The other idea is just awful.
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You're brothers! Assuming you get on well, just buy it for him (I take it he will be refunding you) and drive the 50 miles to him. Spend quality time together on that day, and you will be pleased that you did it. Don't be doing other things to pay for your fuel/time. Look after your siblings as best as you can, life is too short not to do so. I'm giving you this advice from personal experience. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2022 at 9:46PM
     No. Just no. For all the reasons already given. 
    Plus when he finds you’ve bought him a second hand one, he might just tell to you take it straight back again, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bikaga said:
    95% of these dilemmas could remain unpublished if people just talked to each other.
    95% (or more) are made up.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    bikaga said:
    95% of these dilemmas could remain unpublished if people just talked to each other.
    But then people might realise that's just life masquerading as a dilemma.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport