Drowning in £16k of poor decisions

Options

Comments

• LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Nice carpet find on Marketplace! I think a new carpet can really transform how a room feels and looks.  I used to love working in the pub, it was such a sociable job and the time just flew by as it was busy.  A nice bit of cash for you there too.
    LMD x
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £3347.15 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1155/£3000 | Holiday spends £726 | General Saver £3514.48
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    I couldn't believe it @LittleMissDetermined it was a friend who has been renovating a house that recommended. Our house has been a bit neglected for the last year, it needs new flooring everywhere but the hall really. It was up in the air whether I was moving etc. So I didn't want to put much money into, Now I have separated and its me and the boys I will be staying so want to show it a little love but as cheap as possible. 

Yes I dont mind it its a small club and everyone very friendly I have done a few shifts last year on and off, its just difficult to find the childcare to cover. The boys dad is having them tonight at mine so I can go as its been planned for a while for a party. 
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    I agree that all the guru’s advise you to have a small emergency fund. It does stop you relying on credit while you are paying it off. It’s also a good lesson as savings are harder to fritter away than credit, I find I guard my savings like a dragon sitting on a pile of gold 😬 Something I would have shoved on a card with little thought would not be worthy of using my savings for, 9 times out of 10. The thought of paying back the EF when you’ve needed to use some, therefore slowing down your debt repayments, is another pain point that really makes you think about what constitutes an emergency. It’s hard to save it up to start with though, I really do get that. 
    Thanks for popping in 😁 I am hoping It will have that impact as transferring out and seeing the numbers plummet seems more of a deterrent than the mindless tap tap tap I had grown used to ! X  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,472 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on my EF comment - as others have said it's good to understand the different mindsets.  I'm looking to have a complete shift in the next couple of months from mortgage and ££ on 5 CCs to just a positive balance in a bank account.  I'll see how dragon like I can become sitting on this pot of gold!!!!!

This change is only possible due to a couple of seemingly unrelated events....redundancy and (semi) retirement.  The 2 things will give me  some chunks of cash that will clear the debt and the remainder will need to be invested to give me income which will be a nice mind flexing issue to have.  I'd love to get it all sorted out in a couple of days but is till be taking several months instead due to having to wait for a certain progression of events and some uncertainty as one pension to which I'm entitled can't give me a forecast until next January.    
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on my EF comment - as others have said it's good to understand the different mindsets.  I'm looking to have a complete shift in the next couple of months from mortgage and ££ on 5 CCs to just a positive balance in a bank account.  I'll see how dragon like I can become sitting on this pot of gold!!!!!

This change is only possible due to a couple of seemingly unrelated events....redundancy and (semi) retirement.  The 2 things will give me  some chunks of cash that will clear the debt and the remainder will need to be invested to give me income which will be a nice mind flexing issue to have.  I'd love to get it all sorted out in a couple of days but is till be taking several months instead due to having to wait for a certain progression of events and some uncertainty as one pension to which I'm entitled can't give me a forecast until next January.    
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Options

• Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Well this weekend has been eventful, I managed to get the food shop done for the week at £52.00 - £10 more than last week but DS1 has moved to packed lunches.

£25 spent yesterday on the carpet, which was the bargain of the year, from the biggest farm house where the kitchen was probably the size of my house and its very good quality.

Took the boys swimming £18 and they really enjoyed it, worked a shift at the pub so should have £65ish coming my way shortly. Put £25 in fuel and managed to break my toe! Its now strapped up resting before operation clean up continues! 
  • Squirrelz92
    Squirrelz92 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh my lord, how on earth did you manage to break your toe?!? Ouch! Cracking deal on the carpet!
    Debt Free Date: 24th October 2023! £7402.10 Paid Off In 6 Months!
    3 Month Emergency Fund: £3500 / £3500
    #60 2024 Mortgage-Free Wannabes: £200/£2500
  • Throughmyfingers
    Throughmyfingers Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 June 2022 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Called in for Pub money yesterday and they had given me an extra £20 as it was a reaaaalllyyy busy and late one - So £86.00 in total :) I have called at the Post office today and paid in so that's now sat in my account and put £20 aside for a treat for the kids in the next few weeks.

Overview for Monday -
    Monzo Main ACC- £65.00 £40 for this week budgeted
    £54.16 left in the food budget I ended up calling for some bits at the shop yesterday too.
    £25.00 left in Fuel - I have £45(ish) due back this week at some point too.
    £5.03 in overpay pot so going to leave that until the end of this week and clear off one of the CC's

A few straggling DDs cleared today for the mobile phone contracts, life insurance and a CC - I have 23.47£ left in my old bank account which I plan to leave as this covers the milkman (£5 p/w which I am going to cancel) and my AO insurance for my appliances.

I have sold another item on V1nted so that's another £8 once paid, (£16.50 pending) and plan on getting a few pairs of trainers on for the kids tonight.  I have just processed another expense claim for £46 so hopefully that should come for the week afterwards and can work out as my budget for that week. :) 

In work today with leftover tea, NSD again today!! Hoorah, and I have had the car on charge too so hopefully thats another 30miles saved! 
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Yay to NSDs and Vinted sales - well done 👏 
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £3347.15 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1155/£3000 | Holiday spends £726 | General Saver £3514.48
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback