Drowning in £16k of poor decisions

Options

Comments

• Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Hi, thanks to all of you who have popped by  :)

Meal and swimming were lovely, and was nice to spend some 1-1 time with DS2. Hopefully thats the last of the spendy plans for a while although I will plan something at least once a month with the boys even whilst I am trying to be good.

I got a weeks shop for the meal plan for £42 which I was really pleased with, we had meatballs and pasta yesterday, beef steaks for tea tonight and chips (already had a bag in the freezer), tomorrow is chicken curry (SC) then we are having diced steak in a spanish sauce Thursday and chicken enchiladas on Friday. All things we would usually eat but I went to L!dl and couldn't believe how cheap it was! 
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Hii, popping on to your diary to cheer you on with your journey to becoming debt free. I have also recently started my DF journey :) You will smash it I am sure. 

Do you have any mini goals with your current debt eg. to clear £1000 by such a date? Do you keep track of your contributions towards your debt regularly? x
    Thankyou I really appreciate it 😀 i will pop over and say hello shortly too! 

I haven’t got any specific goals at the moment as I have no idea what life will be like with one income. I want to get some pots for uniforms etc so I don't carry on spending on the CCs and ideally  want to clear as much as possible this year but still want to make time for treats with the boys etc. I will be tracking my snowballing on a S/S so I can see how I do, and would like to build a £1000 EF eventually. 

How about you? X
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    The last few days have gone well ☺️ but I have spent a fortune in petrol!!! I havent had much choice as it was for work, I do claim it back but takes approx 2 weeks to be paid so I think one of my saving pots will need to be fuel to keep me so I don’t get caught short.  I have approx £45 being paid already and will do my expenses for this week tomorrow.

Food shop went really well, I am going to try and budget £50 a week going forward and see how we get on but hopefully that will be enough.  Its school holidays at the moment and the boys are both at camp, £125 it has cost for two days 🙈 so this will be another pot for sure! 

I am prepping chicken curry tonight for the SC tomorrow and hoping for an early night as I'm shattered! Was lovely to see a few of you commenting so hopefully Ive not bored any of you to sleep 😴

• Squirrelz92
    Squirrelz92 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Holiday camps for children cost an arm and a leg don't they :( It's such a shame that us working parents don't get any help with childcare costs. Our household income is above the level required to be able to ask for any help so this makes us so much worse off financially after paying for wraparound care :( 

Petrol/diesel costs are awful! Wish I could claim my £50 a week back. Sucks you have to wait so long to be reimbursed though.
    Debt Free Date: 24th October 2023! £7402.10 Paid Off In 6 Months!
    3 Month Emergency Fund: £3500 / £3500
    #60 2024 Mortgage-Free Wannabes: £200/£2500
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Holiday camps for children cost an arm and a leg don't they :( It's such a shame that us working parents don't get any help with childcare costs. Our household income is above the level required to be able to ask for any help so this makes us so much worse off financially after paying for wraparound care :( 

Petrol/diesel costs are awful! Wish I could claim my £50 a week back. Sucks you have to wait so long to be reimbursed though.
    Do you qualify for Tax free childcare? I only found out about it this year, DS1 now in y6 😑 but you basically pay into a Gov account then theres a top up applied. I am not sure of the threshold on that but I seem to think it was higher than UC etc. Xx
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Morning!!

Kids at club today so need to get there packed lunch made. Curry going in for tea and I am planning on NSD today!  
    Plenty of DDs gone out this morning so ill have a reccy at some point today to see where I am then I am planning on making a budget to see me through until payday (25th).

I am going to get in touch with Monz@ today as I have an old acc I want to start using, you can do the pots through there and they apparently have a new salary saver feature for bills with them being taken straight from pots too.  I am going to use it as an opportunity to contact some of my payments and see if theres any possibility of reducing as my circumstances have changed whilst I change my DD details.  There won’t be many but its worth a shot! 

Have a good day everyone! 
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    DD day for me too! My bank account has taken a real hammering this morning :(  Only a few bills left to come out though as i try to front-load my financial month so I know where I am. 
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £3025.36 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1075/£3000 | Holiday spends £575 | General Saver £30114.48
  • Squirrelz92
    Squirrelz92 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Contacting Mon*o sound sounds like a great idea! I am with Starling (Monzo doesn't like me) and the pots work sooo well for me with budgeting and organising everything. Love it!

Ooooh I did not know about the tax free childcare! I shall look into it on my lunch break and let you know the outcome! Thanks so much!! x
    Debt Free Date: 24th October 2023! £7402.10 Paid Off In 6 Months!
    3 Month Emergency Fund: £3500 / £3500
    #60 2024 Mortgage-Free Wannabes: £200/£2500
  • Throughmyfingers
    Throughmyfingers Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 June 2022 at 11:48PM
    Options
    Success! I have managed to reset all my monzo info and I am up and running with a new card being issued too. 

Lots of bills cleared today 😏 in a way its a relief to get them over with!  I've gone through my statment and updated my SS the majortiy clear between 25th-1st but a couple are mid month (Ex paid these previously) and I should have enough to clear everything. I am planning to contact them and change dates so hopefully wont have this issue next month.

Day 1 NSD for me today, hopefully the first of many! 😬 plenty of curry leftover so I have popped in the freezer and I made myself a pack up for work today too. This is something I need to keep track of as I can be quite spendy on energy drinks or lunches!

Pots are now topped up as follows:

Bills - has enough to clear everything for this month as long as no nasty suprises.

Fuel- £50 ….I want to aim for £100 buffer but its all I can afford right now. I do have approx £45 due back, 1/2 a tank atm and another payment to claim, so hopefully I shall be fine.  Its a hybrid I am driving so I took the opportunity to give it a charge today and gained an extra 22 miles 🥳🥳 I am now planning to try do this at least twice a week lol.

Food - £120 Three shops until payday so £40 a week budgeted (I will see how we get on with this as it may need revising).

Uniforms - just £10 today, I want to make a start as DS1 is starting highschool this year so I know it will be expensive and want to avoid putting anything else on the CCs.

Boys - £50 DS2 has a school trip for £20 that needs paying and DS1s account needs topping up also, any extra will go towards Overpayments.

I am nearly finished i promise 😂 I hve then got £150 in my main account, £35 a week to see me through until payday and a £15 buffer with it being the first month budgeting.  Hopefully I can make some overpayments at the end of the month but I didnt want to get too cocky early doors. I will be rounding payments up automatically to the nearest £1 into my overpayment pot, I am then going to clear at the end of each week/fortnight. Save the mortgage companies eyes bleeding 😂😂.

• Tiredbutdetermined
    Options
    As heartbreaking as it is watching the money roll in and straight back out again, I love front loading the month too so I know how the rest of the month is going to play out!

I need to have a look at a monzo account. do you have your salary paid into yours or just use it as a subsidiary account?
    Halifax CC April 21 £3176.24 Now £0 PAID OFF
    PO loan May 21 £6804.36 Now £0 PAID OFF
    H loan May 21 £8961.84 Now £0 PAID OFF
    Creation May 21 £1548.33 Now £0 PAID OFF 

Total Debt May 21 £20,490.44  DEBT FREE DATE 29/7/22 

Mortgage balance May 21 £177,096.19. Now £151,258.92
    Mortgage free date. At start of sole mortgage = July 2042

SAVINGS FOCUS - get rid of the car finance. Savings balance/outstanding balance = £6885.90/£15,631.25
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback