🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Drowning in £16k of poor decisions

Options

Comments

• LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    As heartbreaking as it is watching the money roll in and straight back out again, I love front loading the month too so I know how the rest of the month is going to play out!

Front-loading is the only way I can deal with it, I get too excited about a big bank balance otherwise! 

I need to have a look at a monzo account. do you have your salary paid into yours or just use it as a subsidiary account?
    I use mine as a subsidiary account, but found that it was so easy to use I moved most of my money over (savings pots etc) from my main bank. 
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £3347.15 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1155/£3000 | Holiday spends £726 | General Saver £3514.48
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    It sounds like you've got yourself a good budget plan there, and it's sensible to have a buffer in the first few months whilst you're getting used to it.
    LMD x
    Sealed pot 2024 £3347.15 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1155/£3000 | Holiday spends £726 | General Saver £3514.48
  • Throughmyfingers
    Throughmyfingers Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 June 2022 at 7:56AM
    Options
    As heartbreaking as it is watching the money roll in and straight back out again, I love front loading the month too so I know how the rest of the month is going to play out!

I need to have a look at a monzo account. do you have your salary paid into yours or just use it as a subsidiary account?
    Not at the moment, the only reason being is I have a (empty may I add) right to buy saver on my current account. Which I would like to start using hopefully, So I wont be closing my account anyway. I did read though if your salary is paid into there that you get it a day early, not sure if thats good or bad for me 😂😂  I did look at sterling but didn’t want another search when I already had the account (somewhere), if your planning on joining let me know and I can refer, we both get a £5er apparently! X
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    It sounds like you've got yourself a good budget plan there, and it's sensible to have a buffer in the first few months whilst you're getting used to it.
    LMD x
    Thankyou LMD I am hoping coming on here will make me much more aware of where money keeps dissapearing to!! 😂 If something crops up I know to make a note and build into future budgets which is something I have never done x 
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    It looks quite a nice day here already ☀️ First job of the day to get a wash on, its not going to be a NSD today I need to pop and get some cleaning bits and cat food. I am having a blitz today as the boys just want to stay home, I need to work a few hours at least though 😔 then tonight I am going to the gym.

Reduced netfl!x down this morning, £8 saved a month and had an email saying my TV package is going up approx £20 this month as my deal is ending, so want to get those sorted today!  Enjoy your day everyone! 
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    If you’re shopping around for TV package deals it’s worth checking the cashback sites in case there are any offers x
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    If you’re shopping around for TV package deals it’s worth checking the cashback sites in case there are any offers x
    Thankyou, I am a Quidco addict so will be doing 😬 don't have the best signal here before so the internet is the tough part so I might have to stick where I am. I will be threatening to leave though to see how cheap I can get it xx
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    Best deal for us was £25 p/m with £80 cashback - £220...I called virgin to leave and after a conversation with a very persistant gentleman managed to get my package reduced to broadband only at £14p/m  :) So from the end of June I will be saving £28 a month on this!

• RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I keep a spreadsheet of spending - certainly a wake-up call.

1. £25 a WEEK on odd coffee out, in fact cafés in general.
    2. Gave up drinking as well, so those together save me £50+ a week.
    3. Smartmeter showed me where I was wasting electricity - fan heater 50p an hour. Good grief!
    4. Going to football was costing about £30 a game - although the season has finished - so adding those all up - that's about £80 a week with a few other odds.
    5. Bus pass! Certainly got some value out of that.
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • Throughmyfingers
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    I keep a spreadsheet of spending - certainly a wake-up call.

1. £25 a WEEK on odd coffee out, in fact cafés in general.
    2. Gave up drinking as well, so those together save me £50+ a week.
    3. Smartmeter showed me where I was wasting electricity - fan heater 50p an hour. Good grief!
    4. Going to football was costing about £30 a game - although the season has finished - so adding those all up - that's about £80 a week with a few other odds.
    5. Bus pass! Certainly got some value out of that.
    Hi Rob,

It can be a real eye opener can’t it! I don’t drink but its coffee etc thats my downfall and popping to the shops on the way back from work! Thanks for popping in 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure