Stick with Virgin?

Hello,

I'm just about to move into a new build property and when I viewed it there was what I thought was a standard aerial cable sticking out of the wall. I thought It was a standard coaxial cable that i could link to to a tv as normal. I have just found out it's not an coaxial cable it's a virgin cable and I have to get it connected myself.

I've had a look and the prices arent to bad to start with the cheapest is £29pm for broadband, standard tv channels and a home phone. I wont use the phone.

Although £29pm seems fair, after the 18 month contract it goes up to £60pm which for me is a lot.

Looks like I may be stuck with it but with all the different technological thing around now, is there a cheaper alternative. Maybe a way of watching all the freeview channels online I've looked at the freeview tv app but theres Limited channels. What have you guys done or would do in my situation. 
Can't believe theres no standard tv Aerial. £60 a month is a lot for what is really just broadband because the tv channels are more or less the same as freeview.

Thanks

Comments

• £29 is a really good price for BB and TV. Only Wallys will pay £60. Virgin will tell you in around 17 months when your deal ends at which point you phone up to cancel and they will give you another deal. You need nether pay full price. 
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sign up to Virgin using a cash back site like Quidco.  As above, when your contract ends ring Virgin who will offer you new deal, if you don’t like the price, put 30 day cancellation in and you will get a call back with a far better offer.  Just make sure when you have your account set marketing preferences so that they can contact you.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    samps1973 said:
    Hello,

I'm just about to move into a new build property and when I viewed it there was what I thought was a standard aerial cable sticking out of the wall. I thought It was a standard coaxial cable that i could link to to a tv as normal. I have just found out it's not an coaxial cable it's a virgin cable and I have to get it connected myself.

I've had a look and the prices arent to bad to start with the cheapest is £29pm for broadband, standard tv channels and a home phone. I wont use the phone.

Although £29pm seems fair, after the 18 month contract it goes up to £60pm which for me is a lot.

Looks like I may be stuck with it but with all the different technological thing around now, is there a cheaper alternative. Maybe a way of watching all the freeview channels online I've looked at the freeview tv app but theres Limited channels. What have you guys done or would do in my situation. 
    Can't believe theres no standard tv Aerial. £60 a month is a lot for what is really just broadband because the tv channels are more or less the same as freeview.

Thanks

I moved into a new build 18 months ago and they cabled from the lounge to the loft ready for an aearial but none was provided. If you want an aerial for freeview you need to get it fitted yourself (either DIY or from an aerial installation company).

For TV you will have options, even if your builder didn't cable from the lounge to the loft that would be a simple task for a competant aerial installer. Or you can get Sky to come and fit a dish (but I guess if you don't want to pay for Virgin you won't want to pay for Sky!).

For broadband it is likely you are locked into Virgin though. Your builder should have explained what broadband set up they have done. We've got Openreach fibre, so we have the option of BT, TalkTalk, Sky, etc. If your builder didn't get Openreach to cable to the property and just got Virgin to do it then your only option for broadband will be Virgin.

So you do have the option to take broadband only from Virgin and then get a seperate freeview aerial installed. Or not to bother with "live" TV and watch via the internet on iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, Netflix, Now TV, Disney+ etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback