Which bath would be most suitable for back issues

Following spinal surgery I have very limited mobility which isn't going to improve. Soaking in a bath relieves the pain somewhat, however I really struggle to get in and out. I have a powered bath seat that moves up and down at the moment (provided by the OT) which is great in getting me in and out of the bath, but due to the shape of my bath I can't fully stretch out when sitting on it as the back of the bath slopes to much meaning the bath seat can only be positioned half way down the bath. I don't think I am explaining this as well as I could!

I have permission to replace my bath, so I am wondering what option to go for. The maximum length bath I could have is 1550mm, so do I go for a bath with a straighter back meaning I can move the bath seat further back, or would a bath with a built in seat work? I would still have the issue of getting in and out of the bath though, although it is the getting up from lying which is the impossible part at the moment. 

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There are baths where the side opens - but I gather they are costly.  Have you looked at belt lifts?  They might let you scoot about more once you are in the bath - eg https://www.absolutemobility.co.uk
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The baths where the side opens mean you have to sit there while the bath fills, then again when it empties. Brrrrr.

I'd ask the OT for advice. My thinking is that a built in seat is going to reduce your ability to lie down, but the belt theoretica mentions might work?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you tried a bath cushion.. they are inflatable cubes you sit on.. then they deflae lowering you in.  Reverse to get out.. sit on cushion again and inflate and it lifts you.

Advantage is the cushion goes almost flat in bath so you can use it as a normal bath..so may not need to change your bath at all. 
    Disadvantage is i found i needed some leg strength to stay on the cushion as it inflated and grip to hold on.. not features my disability allows.  My OT loaned a manga brand to me is 2012ish so i am not sure what new ones are like. 

side opening baths .. i was advised against due to time to drain and fill and getting cold, still have to get up from seated but then in a wet bath. 
  • Thanks all :smile: My OT doesn't recommend side opening baths due to'risk of hypothermia while waiting for bath to fill and empty. As our house already has an adapted wetroom with a shower (separate to bathroom), she also said that they won't pay for a replacement bath, which is fine as I would rather choose one myself but it will need to be affordable. Current bath is peach so definitely will be getting replaced!

I like the sound of an inflatable cushion, but the bath lift looks like the best option at the moment. The chair seat I have at the moment has a fixed back so I was thinking of purchasing one with a reclining back - I didnt realise you could get them without a back at all!
  • I have a bath cushion as I have arthritis and really struggle getting up and out of the bath, but like you the heat helps my joints. I really struggle to stay on the cushion as it inflates, I had a hernia repair recently and just kept slipping off of it. You cant use your legs to push as no grip on the bath. It actually felt quite dangerous and I wondered   how people older that me coped with one.

Its great from a point of view of being able to lay down properly in the bath though..

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 July 2022 at 2:56PM
     You cant use your legs to push as no grip on the bath. It actually felt quite dangerous and I wondered   how people older that me coped with one.

Its great from a point of view of being able to lay down properly in the bath though..

I'm 73, so is that older than you ? I am having an inflatable delivered on Tuesday, so will let you know how I cope.
    I wouldn't be able to use my legs anyway, as I have spinal stenosis which causes leg pain. However, after over two years without a bath (Our bathroom can't take a shower) , enduring exhausting strip washes, which just don't feel clean enough, a soak in our bath will be bliss.
    PS I was sent a rigid Neptune instead, perhaps on advice, as the company supplying our council is selling off the inflatables.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback