We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the idea that you can save more money using Apps fair on older people?

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it fair that a single person only has 25% discount on council tax, but 2 people living together can split it 50/50? No, but it is what it is like many other things.
  • ILoveSittingDown
    Options
    I’d prefer to have a decent final salary pension than saving a few pence here and there by using an app.
  • RogerBareford
    RogerBareford Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brie said:
    I don't think it's a case of some people not trying, it may be more simply a case of not understanding.  

I used to have a fairly stupid phone but one thing I liked about it is that it also had a fm radio so that I could listen to something while I was walking to work.  When I went to replace it I kept asking for one with a radio and would get blank looks from the (extraordinarily young looking) person in the phone shop.  "well you can get an app" was normally the reply.  It made no sense to me and they didn't realise that I had no idea what an app actually did and how they worked.  I do now but it's taken me 6 more years since then to have a phone that is actually good enough to have apps on it. 

Which brings me to my second point....the cost of having a phone with apps.  If one is on a tight budget (& a lot of us are) we aren't going to be paying £1k for an iphone outright or £50+ a month for a contract.  It's going to be the £50 cheapo phone with a £5 sim only contract.  And no ability to add all the apps that the supermarkets think we should have.    So because someone is on a budget they can't access the deals that would help them save money shopping.

Completely unfair but I can't see a solution.

They may not understand but then that's almost the same cause because they arn't trying to understand. There are lots of things i havn't understood in life and so i went and did some research and found out. You need to go out and actively gain knowledge and sitting at home just saying you don't understand won't help.
    Anyway in the case of your visit to the shop there bits you both didn't understand because while you didn't understand what an app was the person in the shop didn't understand that phones used to come with built in FM tuners that couldn't just be replaced with an app.

You don't need a £1,000 phone to use apps. £50 will probably be pushing it a bit but for £75 you can certainly get an Android phone that supports all the latest apps if your budget was that tight.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 May 2022 at 12:02AM
    Options
    Jhurlo said:
    I read Martin's latest tip today saying  "12 ways you can save but only on Apps ..."   I am elderly (77 yrs) but fortunate that I understand my smart phone and technology.  However, I have many friends who don't even have a smart phone and others who do not understand Apps.  They also do not have much money.  Technology is travelling so fast that many people cannot keep up with it and miss out.  Is this fair?   The older generation have dedicated their lives to bringing up the future generations, have lived through previous bad times and now are having to pay for it again by being left behind.
    I'm 72 and, like you, am tech savvy. I use apps on my phone and find them a great boon. I can check my bank account every day if I like. Or even, every hour. But I don't have the time. However, I have younger friends who are technophobes and I've stopped even trying to explain to them the wonders of the internet and apps on phones. They think I'm going to be robbed blind and swindled out of all my pensions any minute now. All my friends in my age group are tech savvy and that's the main way we've been keeping in touch of late.

I just think that as others say, life in general isn't fair. But if you're curious and inquisitive (like you and me) we can keep up with technology, no problem. 

For example, can everyone go to university - and do they even want to? No. But I did really want to but personal and family circumstances dictated that it wasn't possible for me until I was 50 years of age .I graduated with a 2.1 BA Hons degree three years later.

Plus, you don't need a lot of money to have an android phone these days. 

I can honestly say that I don't feel I'm being left behind. I know people who are but the beauty is that they truly don't care. So I don't think there's a lot to worry about. People who want to keep up will do. The others don't want to. And that's okay.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I don't think it's that old people are incapable of using apps or unable to afford it, it's just some are stuck in their ways and don't want to. My mum's in her 80's and we eventually got her a smartphone a couple of years ago, after a few years of her insisting she didn't need one, now she's never off it!
    Wasn't expensive, the idea you need a £1k phone or a £50 a month contract is hilarious, even for us (or anyone!). I think the phone was around £100 and it can easily cope with all the apps she needs.
    Ongoing costs are virtually nothing, sensible usage shouldn't use more than 100-200Mb of data a month which you can get on PAYG for around £2 a month. Overall the smartphone has saved her money as she's no longer paying to call people on her landine, instead using WhatsApp or messenger etc.
  • P1Fanatic
    P1Fanatic Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My Dads 78 and was never too bothered about mobiles other than for safety when out walking. Mum did all their finances but since she passed he is now up to speed with all his banking apps and even uses applepay on his ipad. I was surprised how quickly he got to grips with it all.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was out for a pint with a couple of mates yesterday, one was 86 and the other 87.  One of them had his tablet with him  and was looking up data and the other was checking stuff on his phone.

Another who is a bit younger than me (I'm 75) wont have anything to do with apps and leaves it all to his wife - it's not that he's "OLD", he's just bone idle.

IMO being "old" is state of mind. Personally I dont mind using apps where they serve a useful purpose, but I do object to Apps for apps-sake and the most obnoxious being car-parks.

Different apps for different car parks just becaise councils and car park operators are too lazy to maintain and empty machines. Within a short drive from where I live there a at least four cap parks each with a different app, each wanting info on my credit card, car reg number and other data and each charging 20p over and above the car park fee, for the privilege of using them. I've even had to get the card company to authorise the payment of a £2 fee, whilst standing out in the p'ing rain.

IMO thats apps, for apps sake
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,716 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having spent several years helping older people understand how to use laptops/tablets/smartphones, the dominant theme is trusting the technology. This is mainly people who have never used a computer in their life and don't have any idea what the "internet" is.
    As we get older, our ability to learn new skills diminishes, and changing habits is even harder. Never, in all those years, have I come across a person who wanted to use online banking - a trip to the bank and talking to a real human being is a major social event in their life. If their local branch closes, they'll switch banks before they'll consider online banking. They are terrified of being scammed, as that's all they hear about.
    Change is inevitable, but those that can't adapt need support from those who can understand the technology, until the younger generations who now grow up with smartphones become senior themselves.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Well said.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I was out for a pint with a couple of mates yesterday, one was 86 and the other 87.  One of them had his tablet with him  and was looking up data and the other was checking stuff on his phone.

Another who is a bit younger than me (I'm 75) wont have anything to do with apps and leaves it all to his wife - it's not that he's "OLD", he's just bone idle.

IMO being "old" is state of mind. Personally I dont mind using apps where they serve a useful purpose, but I do object to Apps for apps-sake and the most obnoxious being car-parks.

Different apps for different car parks just becaise councils and car park operators are too lazy to maintain and empty machines. Within a short drive from where I live there a at least four cap parks each with a different app, each wanting info on my credit card, car reg number and other data and each charging 20p over and above the car park fee, for the privilege of using them. I've even had to get the card company to authorise the payment of a £2 fee, whilst standing out in the p'ing rain.

IMO thats apps, for apps sake
    Yes parking apps are a PITA, often not working because no data signal, charging more for saving the operator money, and only allowing payment with one particular app. It's like if a retailer only accepted Mastercard, and other retailers only accepting VISA, and others only accepting Amex. They should get their act together so customers don't have to set up loads of different apps.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback