Will BT increase my speed?

BT have been through my street laying fibre optic cables. If I look on the BT website fibre up to speeds of 900Mb/s is available to buy. Last December, after haggling I renewed my BT contract for 24 months and I have a fibre 2 package. At the time when I renewed the fastest available broadband was 36Mb/s and the stay fast guarantee on my package is 31 Mb/s and it's been steady around 35Mb/s. So no real complaints. 

However If you were to sign up as a new customer today the 36Mb/s package is their essentials package and the fibre 2 package would deliver 74Mb/s. Is there anyway I can get the new speeds that are available or am I reliant on BT's good will? Cancellation charges are horrendous so that is not really an option.

Comments

• southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You'd have to upgrade to the faster speeds on FTTP & start a new 24 month contract with them
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You can generally upgrade to a new package and new minimum term with your current supplier without penalty.  You will not be able to leave your current supplier and move to a different Openreach network provider penalty free.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You  can be upgraded  onto a full fibre package , your phone ( if you want to keep a phone service ) would be on digital voice but the broadband speed is what the package says , not reduced due to distance etc, in fact some speeds are deliberately undersold , so for example the 900Mb is usually around 960Mb on speed checkers….if you opt for 80Mb ( a speed that is obtainable on FTTC for those close enough to the cabinet ) you would get 80Mb.
    It may well be the case that Openreach want ISP’s to move customers onto FTTP where it’s available so they may be no extension to the minimum term etc….probably best to call and ask.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback