PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - How do I give myself the best chance in this competitive market?

Options

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 June 2022 at 12:26AM
    Options
    maton91 said:
    All I can do is try and as you say re-emphasise your points above (FTB, MIP, conveyencer quote etc...), if the mortage valuation is down valued I guess I'll have to go with a 90% LTV
    As I stated earlier in the thread, I wouldn't let them know that you're a FTB.
    Some sellers will immediately discard offers from FTB's even if they are higher than anyone else's due to previous bad experiences.
    Instead just saying that you are currently in rented with no chain has all of the positives without any of the negative connotations.
  • Richiem1987
    Richiem1987 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 11 June 2022 at 12:12AM
    Options
    Like you have said, if you offer over asking, make sure you can cover the difference if the Mortgage lender down values. That's why I always recommend 15-20% deposit, so you can absorb a down valuation down to a 10% deposit (on paper). Doing this worked in my favour. 
  • maton91
    maton91 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback

In my position I like the house and I want to give it my best shot on getting onto the ladder. So I've increased my offer by £10k and reaffirmed my position to the EA that I have a mortgage AIP and have conveyencers ready to instruct should the vendor accept my offer

Should find out in a few days!
  • Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Turn up as many leads as possible. More seen, more chance of finding the right one.

Make sure you phone round agents to ensure you get fresh to market stuff before it hits Rightmove.

Even asking friends or mates down the pub if they know of houses going can turn up leads.
  • maton91
    edited 17 June 2022 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Megaross said:
    Turn up as many leads as possible. More seen, more chance of finding the right one.

Make sure you phone round agents to ensure you get fresh to market stuff before it hits Rightmove.

Even asking friends or mates down the pub if they know of houses going can turn up leads.

Thanks for this, luckily enough I found a property and had an offer accepted earlier in the week. Useful info for those that are in the process of looking though!
  • maton91
    Options
    As I was anxious about, the lendor has down valued my offer by £10k

I have now gone back to the EA and asked if the vendor would be willing to proceed at the down valued number. This is actually the same value as the original listing ('asking price'), so I'm hoping they will agree and things can get moving again.

If not, well I guess it's renegotiation time, hoepfully we can compromise at a half way point and I'll stup up the £5k delta in cash
  • jenni_fer
    jenni_fer Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    maton91 said:

I have now gone back to the EA and asked if the vendor would be willing to proceed at the down valued number. This is actually the same value as the original listing ('asking price'), so I'm hoping they will agree and things can get moving again.

If not, well I guess it's renegotiation time, hoepfully we can compromise at a half way point and I'll stup up the £5k delta in cash
    Our original buyer tried this...if it was valued at asking, you knowingly offered £10k over so shouldn't be surprised it's not worth that to the bank.
    We said no.
  • Zoe02
    Zoe02 Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My brother has been telling me to tell the EA I am happy to use their in house broker.

I was reluctant because with a straightforward case thought would go directly and save fees.

This seem to have helped with my offer and to my surprise broker said I did not need to pay any fees. (the lender pays him commission).

My tip would be also have your AIP and proof of deposit to show you are a serious buyer. 
  • Zerforax
    Zerforax Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    maton91 said:

Good luck! Keep us updated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure