electric usage

Options
gill5blue
gill5blue Posts: 643 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 May 2022 at 10:29AM in Energy
Hi, is there a post on here that tells you how much electricity household items use?
I've been trying to reduce my electric usage and wondered how to find out as accurately as I can how much electric usage I use.
I have also bought 2 remote control plugs to turn off things like microwave etc.
Gill5blue
pay all debts off 2023-No 30 paid £3340.45/£7941

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08X4M7TX2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_N38FTT6QDYY4WEEZ5KV9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BTW microwave uses next to nothing when it's not actively in use
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,643 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gill5blue said:
    Hi, is there a post on here that tells you how much electricity household items use?
    I've been trying to reduce my electric usage and wondered how to find out as accurately as I can how much electric usage I use.
    I have also bought 2 remote control plugs to turn off things like microwave etc.
    Gill5blue
    Worth buying a plug-in mains monitor. Less than £20 on Amazon. Those can tell you how much electricity a device plugged into them has used over a period of time.
    You might find your remote switch may not save you anything worthwhile on your microwave. The microwave probably only uses a tiny bit of electricity on standby, the switch itself will also use a tiny bit so the saving could be even tinier!
    Also, make sure the switch is rated high enough to handle the load taken by the microwave in use.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• victor2
    Options
    Just an example of the monitor, not particularly recommending this one...
    Deal: Power Meter Plug Energy Monitor Watt Meter Backlight LCD Display Electricity Usage Monitor Consumption Analyzer Voltage Amps Wattage KWH Outlet Power Meter Socket, Updated Version 180° Viewing Angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085S7Q1T4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_BD5BSDX0F7QHY5RJF0WD

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Just an example of the monitor, not particularly recommending this one...
    Deal: Power Meter Plug Energy Monitor Watt Meter Backlight LCD Display Electricity Usage Monitor Consumption Analyzer Voltage Amps Wattage KWH Outlet Power Meter Socket, Updated Version 180° Viewing Angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085S7Q1T4
    Also available from other tat bazaars, eg.:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374027690901
    Or you can get a smart plug with similar functions built-in, eg. this one that several MSE'ers recommend:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Tapo-Monitoring-Required-P110/dp/B097YBXHTW
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May 2022 at 6:20PM
    Options
    The TP-Link above is a good one. I purchased 3 of them when they were on special for £10. that is only £2 more expensive than remote plugs at best price.

One thing to consider is that there seem to be privacy issues. They seem to phone home to China, so nothing for you if you are concerned about it.

Otherwise ideal if you need remote plugs also, when you don't need them as energy monitors any longer.
  • gill5blue
    edited 16 May 2022 at 6:20AM
    Options
    Hi All,
    thank you for your replies, and recommendations.
    Is there a calculation I can do as well? as an example I have a speaker on 24hours a day and on the label is says its consumption is 28 watts-upon looking up(google) the speaker -it uses .45watts standby mode.so I calculated 24hours a day x0.45watts x £0.30 cost per hour = £0.10 per month to run(standby only)
    Would my calculation be correct?
    gill5blue

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The 10p standby cost per months is correct. You got the calculation right 0.45*24*30/1000=0.324KWh
  • victor2
    Options
    gill5blue said:
    Hi All,
    thank you for your replies, and recommendations.
    Is there a calculation I can do as well? as an example I have a speaker on 24hours a day and on the label is says its consumption is 28 watts-upon looking up(google) the speaker -it uses .45watts standby mode.so I calculated 24hours a day x0.45watts x £0.30 cost per hour = £0.10 per month to run(standby only)
    Would my calculation be correct?
    gill5blue
    That's roughly equivalent to an extra 4 seconds per day in a typical (8.5KW) electric shower. Kind of puts things into perspective. :)

• gill5blue
    Options
    hi All,
    Update....
    I have been using the tapo plugs for 5 weeks and reduced my usage by 65 units(£19.50), comparing to 2021.
    I know it is not exact science but usage is down, feedback is great and they help you to be mindful.
    by all reports my tv left on standby for 5 years(it actually doesn't have an off button) uses next to no electricity, but my smart meter disagrees.
    gill5blue

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    gill5blue said:

The ratings on labels are maximums provided to prevent socket overloading. Its unlikely your speaker uses 28w when on. You'd need to measure it with a plug in monitor to know what it actually uses. I bought a plug in monitor about 15 years ago for about £12, its paid for itself many times over.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback