Ergo Travel Insurance via Trainline

Options
We booked train travel for my Mother in Law to visit taking out Ergo insurance just incase of anything unforeseen happening.

She wasnt due to travel until Monday 16th May, unfortunately last Wednesday she had a stroke and is unable to travel.  

My husband has contacted Ergo to request a refund (tickets couldnt just be cancelled as they were non-refundable) but they are unwilling to help as the insurance is not in his name.  They have said there is no time limit to claim so she can do it sometime in the future.

A week on and she is still in hospital, unlikely to leave for at least another 2 weeks.  We have no intention of talking to her about these tickets whilst she is so poorly or even when she returns home, health is number one every time.

My question is, even though the insurance is in her name, as we paid for them are we in our rights to make this claim?  Payment was made on a credit card so would it be possible to claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if all else fails? 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,183 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    The rail industry's 'Book with Confidence' scheme (an easement to the normal rules on Advance tickets to encourage travel as the COVID situation eases) may help you here - at the least you should be able to get the tickets changed to a future date for no fee. 

Some ticket vendors will allow you to turn an Advance ticket into credit for future use, though the Trainline website suggests they won't do this. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chrips said:
    My question is, even though the insurance is in her name, as we paid for them are we in our rights to make this claim?  Payment was made on a credit card so would it be possible to claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if all else fails? 
    No, its not your policy

What is the breach of contract you are alleging The Trainline made to be able to claim under S75? Given the tickets were for your mother and not yourself its likely a S75 would fail due to the D-C-S chain being broken even if the company had breached the terms.

Unfortunately you are simply going to have to wait until she is well enough to speak to the insurers herself or until you decide a power of attorney is required more broadly in which case that would entitle whoever is given the power to act on your mums behalf. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback