🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

More than 2.5 million people to be moved onto universal credit from today, leaving 900,000 worse off

Options

Comments

• andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    calcotti said:
    andrewmp said: Capital up to £16k will lead to unearned income being included in the UC award immediately, but can also create (or increase) a transitional element.
    That's what I would expect but I couldn't find evidence o confirm it which is why I was hesitant. If you've hot a link please post it.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1152/pdfs/uksiem_20191152_en.pdf
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    andrewmp said:
    calcotti said:
    andrewmp said: Capital up to £16k will lead to unearned income being included in the UC award immediately, but can also create (or increase) a transitional element.
    That's what I would expect but I couldn't find evidence o confirm it which is why I was hesitant. If you've hot a link please post it.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1152/pdfs/uksiem_20191152_en.pdf
    I realise that sets out the stated intention. Until I see examples of the calculations I remain uncertain whether or not there will be cases in which it turns out this isn't what happens in practice!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited 10 May 2022 at 8:24AM
    Options
    Managed migration currently only taking place in Bolton and Medway. (Sorry I can't post a link - the information is from a website not available without register access.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If any of those 900,000 have over 16k in savings and/or a second property they own my sympathy is severely limited, actually non-existent

People with over £16k or a second property are highly unlikely to qualify for income related benefits.  If they exist they will be a tiny proportion of the total.
  • calcotti
    edited 10 May 2022 at 9:04AM
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    If any of those 900,000 have over 16k in savings and/or a second property they own my sympathy is severely limited, actually non-existent

People with over £16k or a second property are highly unlikely to qualify for income related benefits.  If they exist they will be a tiny proportion of the total.
    There will be quite a few claiming Tax Credits only - they will lose all entitlement after one year of Tax Credits ending.
    This will include many families with children.
    Unfortunately I can't find statistics which show how many claimants this may involve.
  • sourpuss2021
    sourpuss2021 Posts: 603 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2022 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Regular gifted money is disregarded for UC, isn't it?    I mean a situation where parents send their adult child money each month by standing order to top up their benefits.    
  • calcotti
    edited 10 May 2022 at 9:16AM
    Options
    Regular gifted money is disregarded for UC, isn't it?    I mean a situation where parents send their adult child money each month by standing order to top up their benefits.   
    Money you receive is ignored. Money you give away could be deprivation of capital.
  • sourpuss2021
    sourpuss2021 Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Do you mean you are sending the money or you are receiving the money?
    Money you receive is ignored. Money you give away could be deprivation of capital.
    The money is sent to me, fortunately :).  I don't have any children.   
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2022 at 9:50AM
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Managed migration currently only taking place in Bolton and Medway. (Sorry I can't post a link - the information is from a website not available without register access.)
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-confirms-managed-migration-of-legacy-benefit-claimants-to-universal-credit-to-begin-in-bolton-and-medway
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,104 Forumite
    Options
    andrewmp said:
    calcotti said:
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-confirms-managed-migration-of-legacy-benefit-claimants-to-universal-credit-to-begin-in-bolton-and-medway

Yes, i seen that but for the same reason calcotti said, i didn't post it because without members access you can't view it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure