3G ending USA

Marvel1
Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have my data pack ready from Three to data roam in the USA.

Just looking to activate the internal roaming and my phone is old not compatible with 4g as it's 2016

In the USA AT&T's network has already shutdown 3G.

What does Three use? Will I be ok, or just a buy a new phone that supports 4G, working my way from release date 2017?

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Usually it would connect to T-Mobile who will also have shut down their 3G by 1st July if they stick to their plan. They have already started, as have all of the US mobile companies, so it will be patchy at best even before that date.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    400ixl said:
    Usually it would connect to T-Mobile who will also have shut down their 3G by 1st July if they stick to their plan. They have already started, as have all of the US mobile companies, so it will be patchy at best even before that date.
    Great stuff, I have a Galaxy S7 and no idea what model to buy one. 

But even though my settings didn't say it, I had 4G, but reading more worried it won't be in the US.

Three site only lists S21 models as compactible which is quite new released January 2021 (very convenient) .
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    The S7 covers a range of 4g bands including those many of those used in the USA. Additionally some other networks are still running 3g but even these will cease by the end of the year. 
  • You should be able to configure your settings to include 4g if it's not already done. A quick google should give you the instructions or go to the Three support pages online.  4g was definitely available before 2016 so your phone should be compatible without you having to buy a new device.

Hope you get it sorted 
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback