Fibreglass flat roof

Options
124»

Comments

• Hi there,

As far as I know fiberglass roofing is excellent when done correctly by professionals.

My worry is that my parents were ripped off as we have a damp patch where it is leaking :mad::(

Don't let our experience put you off just get someone to recommend a professional who will do it properly.

All the best...
  • Envirodude
    Options
    Hi to all, as an experienced flat roofer in GRP, EPDM and PVC and Kemper I would like to offer some advice. I am a firm beliver that each product has its place and the roof design dictates the product to be used. If your roof is a stand alone garage or a very straightforward rectangle extension coming off your house then EPDM, PVC OR GRP is perfectly suitable. If however you have an awkward roof that has upstands on it, pipes and flues coming through it or tricky corners then GRP is definitley the one to go for. We can make ANY shape from grp on site and work around ANY awkward obstruction to make it completely watertight. You CANNOT do this with rubber the same way. You have to use patches and cut rubber to make the shapes. Patches and cuts are not great for a flat roof as you can imagine. As for GRP cracking. Rubbish. If you use quality resins, always install over a well installed new deck using ONLY tongue and groove OSB3, put expansion trims in on long runs and install it to the correct thickness it wont crack. Swimming pools and water features are MADE from GRP often and you dont see many of those with no water in because they CRACKED. GRP can be coated in ANY colour of your choice too which is great for balcanies and roofs on view. Mt advice is to get a roofer that oftens ALL the options (except felt) and get his advice when he sees the roof.
  • RML82
    RML82 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    toproofer wrote: »
    Its a no brainer guys grp (fibreglass) is the best solution and in the long term the most cost effective solution. I always describe a fibreglass roof to anyone not sure as a boat on your roof, that may sound a bit crazy but the thing will NEVER leak unless it is punctured in someway. I give 40 year guarantee out with my flat roofs and never have any comebacks there is research into grp that has been going on for over 50 years and in some cases there has been absolutely no degradation.

No no, a boat made of fibreglass spends most of its time in water, thereby protecting the material from UV rays and quick changes between hot and cold. On a flat roof you need a material to expand and contract, something fibreglass does not do. I agree that a single ply membrane, with heat weldable laps is the best option you have.
  • RML82
    RML82 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    By the way, rubber roofs could be good, but if the laps are not heat welded then stay far far away from that option.
  • sharonjackson
    Options
    hi we are thinking of having a fibreglass balcony fitted do you still recommend ?
  • kelb1971
    Options
    Envirodude wrote: »
    Hi to all, as an experienced flat roofer in GRP, EPDM and PVC and Kemper I would like to offer some advice. I am a firm beliver that each product has its place and the roof design dictates the product to be used. If your roof is a stand alone garage or a very straightforward rectangle extension coming off your house then EPDM, PVC OR GRP is perfectly suitable. If however you have an awkward roof that has upstands on it, pipes and flues coming through it or tricky corners then GRP is definitley the one to go for. We can make ANY shape from grp on site and work around ANY awkward obstruction to make it completely watertight. You CANNOT do this with rubber the same way. You have to use patches and cut rubber to make the shapes. Patches and cuts are not great for a flat roof as you can imagine. As for GRP cracking. Rubbish. If you use quality resins, always install over a well installed new deck using ONLY tongue and groove OSB3, put expansion trims in on long runs and install it to the correct thickness it wont crack. Swimming pools and water features are MADE from GRP often and you dont see many of those with no water in because they CRACKED. GRP can be coated in ANY colour of your choice too which is great for balcanies and roofs on view. Mt advice is to get a roofer that oftens ALL the options (except felt) and get his advice when he sees the roof.

Hi,
    We recently had our old felt roofs replaced with fiberglass. (second time as we had a bad job done initially) Even though these roofers did a good job for a good price in good time water is pooling on both. We asked for them to specifically make sure this didn't happen, so they suggested and fitted furring strips but it still pools water and its only the summer rain hitting it so far. We asked them to come back and sort which they're taking their time doing, but they've also said they are only going to gel over it to give it more of an elevation. Is this right? should they be doing more?
    Any advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    We've had bad bad experience with cowboy builders employing bad roofers in the past so we're praying these guys are not the same.
    many thanks in advance
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kelb1971 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We recently had our old felt roofs replaced with fiberglass. (second time as we had a bad job done initially) Even though these roofers did a good job for a good price in good time water is pooling on both. We asked for them to specifically make sure this didn't happen, so they suggested and fitted furring strips but it still pools water and its only the summer rain hitting it so far. We asked them to come back and sort which they're taking their time doing, but they've also said they are only going to gel over it to give it more of an elevation. Is this right? should they be doing more?
    Any advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    We've had bad bad experience with cowboy builders employing bad roofers in the past so we're praying these guys are not the same.
    many thanks in advance

Given he was last online 2yrs ago I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Kelb - repost this on the main section- this is for quotes
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure