• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    fibreglass wrote: »
    being in the trade that is a very good qoute that they have given you

Old-BTF.jpg
  • gyells
    Options
    Just came across this thread and Can i just say as an experienced roofer in GRP, felting and single ply PVC membranes (sarnafil etc) that GRP (fibreglass) is NOT i repeat NOT is not the best method. Agreed it is better than felt but it is no way is it a better roofing solution than PVC membranes such as Sarnafil that has been stated in this thread. PVC membranes are by far a better roofing method than GRP and is by far more aesthetically pleasing. The amount of GRP roofs I've had to replace (not done by myself!) with a PVC one is growing. The main problem is cracking due to movement, as stated in this thread. Where in a PVC roof it can have as much movement as it wants with no damage. Its UV protected so the sun doesn't penetrate it. They use it in swimming pools so standing water doesn't effect it. Its the complete roofing solution! Nearly all my jobs these days are single ply PVC membrane jobs because as an experienced flat roofer with 42 years experience that is what i recommend to all my customers. I still do the odd felt and GRP roof when that is the only way but i will always tell my customers that the best option is PVC. Put it this way PVC membranes such as Sarnafil, Flag, Cefil will last for 40 years plus, the only reason i say 40 years is because thats how long its been since the first PVC Sarnafil roof was laid and is still going strong!! PLEASE ANY ONE READING THIS, TAKE MY ADVICE AND SEEK AN APPROVED SINGLE PLY PVC MEMBRANE INSTALLER TO DO YOUR ROOF
  • Soapyw
    Options
    Gyelis great post thanks, we're buying a house that has two flat roofs in need of repair and this has made my mind up which option we should go for!

What would be a rough price to expect? Rear roof single story is 23msquare, side roof is second story approx 24 msquare. Thanks.
  • toproofer
    Options
    Its a no brainer guys grp (fibreglass) is the best solution and in the long term the most cost effective solution. I always describe a fibreglass roof to anyone not sure as a boat on your roof, that may sound a bit crazy but the thing will NEVER leak unless it is punctured in someway. I give 40 year guarantee out with my flat roofs and never have any comebacks there is research into grp that has been going on for over 50 years and in some cases there has been absolutely no degradation.
  • rooneyp
    Options
    We had our flat roof done in fibreglass about 6 months ago by a company called Proplas so I can't really give an opinion on the long term benefits but what sold it to us was the fact that it was done so quickly (in a day) and came with a 35 year guarantee, fingers crossed we never have to use it.
  • Hi there,
    Just wanted to ask some advice. About 18mthago my parents hadthe flat roof renewed and paid £900 my dad dealt with the firm regarding payment and I don't think he was given a receipthe passed away 4mths ago .
    Now I have noticed a leak in the bathroom ceiling!
    After the work was done the roof never seemed 'right'as there was rain running down the side of the wall which a builder repaired fir us recently he was working on a house in our street and got talking to my mum. He said if it didn't get sorted it would cause problems with the plaster cracking in the winter.
    I am very concerned that my dad paid for a roof that should have lasted years i don't know the size of the roof but the extension isn't very big they took a day and a half to do the fiberglass roof but without a receipt i guess we don't have a leg to stand on ! I did ask my parents to call the firm back regarding the water running down the wall but they were both not well and it was something that got left.
    I suppose my question is should we put in an insurance claim or pay for a repair ?
    Thanks for any replies.
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    im interested in this, the reason i have stumbled across this thread is i was at the ideal home exhibition today and there were a couple of stands selling fibreglass roffs, which seemed perfect, we have a rubber roof and its leaking in heavy rain so wanted a solution to it, and the fibreglass seemed the perfect choice, now hearing that it can crack is worrying me.
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure