Clarks sold me used shoes

I used to work for clarks and know they do children's fitting. My 1 year old has only just started walking but still unsteady so I never let her walk outside. I bought a pair of shoes without inspecting them as I trusted them to give me a new pair. The man took it to the till and then tells me its £44 which was a shock for children's shoes. I paid out of embarrassment with the intention of returning. My child was crying so I left in a hurry. I kept it tucked away in a cupboard till I could go back. To my horror when I took it back there was sand in the shoe grips and apparently scuff marks according to the manager. I maintained that my daughter did not wear them but the manager refused to take them. She kept saying all their shoes are checked before being sold which is clearly a lie. I complained to customer service but still awaiting a reply after sending photos (they have suddenly gone quiet). I have two issues here, firstly I am being branded as a liar. Secondly, I have been sold used shoes. I don't know what to do. When taking photos of the shoe box, I can see a tiny note saying "code 243- wearing them". I don't know when this was written on the box and by whom. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,052
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How long have you had them for? If the error was pointed out shortly after purchase it would seem a reasonable to expect to return them for a refund.
  • I tried to return it after 17 days.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,052
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I can understand after two weeks they have no idea if they sold the shoes in this condiiton or if they have been used.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    teenz_88 said:
     She kept saying all their shoes are checked before being sold which is clearly a lie. 
    Normally a standard practice to ensure that the box contains a pair of matching shoes. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The OP's post says  "I used to work for clarks and know they do children's fitting."  

So, presumably she had her child's  feet measured and the shoes tried on.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How did you know what size to buy if your child didn't try them on?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,475
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    This is a very confusing thread.

Maybe the OP could clarify:
    Did the assistant measure her child's feet?
    Did the child try any shoes on?
    Were the shoes the child tried on the ones that she bought?

I would say that most people who have had children are aware that Clarks are pretty expensive for kids' footwear.
    My sister's kids are adults now but I remember her paying a lot for their toddler shoes 20-odd years ago.
    I'm surprised that the OP - a previous employee of Clarks - was unaware that a pair of baby walking shoes might be as expensive as £44.00.
    I don't buy anything unless I know the price before I get to the till.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback