My insurance has gone up 35% from a No fault claim where I wasn't in the car???

Options
2»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update:
    I called my previous car insurer for more clarity.
    They said the claim was still open and they are in the process of recovering the outlay from the third party insurance.
    But fundamentally, it's non-fault with waived excess.
    I can't contact Onecall because their online chat isn't working... The letter also says I have 7 days to provide proof of an incorrection. I can't provide this because they have no contact number and the claim isn't closed yet.

OneCall say "
    "Undiscolosed Claims - Non-fault Claim on xx-xx-xxxx",
    You say "... fundamentally, it's non-fault ...", and you agree that it was undisclosed.
    So what exactly is there for you to correct?
  • Lemonhusky
    Options
    Car_54 said:

OneCall say ""Undiscolosed Claims - Non-fault Claim on xx-xx-xxxx",
    You say "... fundamentally, it's non-fault ...", and you agree that it was undisclosed.
    Apparently, the claim status is still open. Onecall doesn't have all the information due to data protection.
    The 35% increase seems high given the context. So I have to get answers from Onecall or at least a breakdown to confirm it's accurate.
    My last insurer even thought the "garage hadn't been paid yet". My car wasn't even in a garge... So things seem off.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 April 2022 at 7:06PM
    Options
    What do you mean by supply an "incorrection"? Do you mean evidence that what they have discovered is not true and therefore challenge the new policy amount?

From what you have said, they are correct and there is no correction to make on their evidence.

It doesn't matter that the claim is still open, it is still a claim and the non-fault status is unlikely to change. They will have access to the required information as it is updated on the MIAFTR database which all insurers have access to. They don't need anything under GDPR from you.

The 35% increase is what they have decided the cost of your new risk profile is.

Not sure what you are looking to achieve.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,235 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 said:

Apparently, the claim status is still open. Onecall doesn't have all the information due to data protection.
    The 35% increase seems high given the context. So I have to get answers from Onecall or at least a breakdown to confirm it's accurate.
    My last insurer even thought the "garage hadn't been paid yet". My car wasn't even in a garge... So things seem off.
    The only possible change to the claim status would be to become 'fault' rather than 'non-fault'. That is not going to help you!
    Anyway, the real issue isn't the claim status, it's the non-disclosure.
  • Lemonhusky
    Lemonhusky Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 April 2022 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Car_54 said:

The only possible change to the claim status would be to become 'fault' rather than 'non-fault'. That is not going to help you!
    Right, thanks for the info. So from what I understand now, my risk profile has gone up due to an incorrection. Therefore my premium has gone up. It's not necessarily linked to the type, cause or payout closure of the incident itself. 
    That is a stonking increase for something so simply missed. I guess they treat all undisclosures the same?
    I also wonder, will this affect my future insurance prices? 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Options
    As they haven't cancelled the policy, and as long as next time you declare everything then there should be no long term damage from the indiscretion.

Obviously you are still a slightly higher risk for the next few years until you no longer have to declare the claim, but that is nothing to do with the non disclosure.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When it asks for any claims or incidents, fault or non-fault over the last 5 years, how on earth can you 'forget' an incident that's so recent that even the garage haven't been paid yet?

The insurance company may have raised the premium significantly as they suspect deliberate misleading.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Car_54 said:

Right, thanks for the info. So from what I understand now, my risk profile has gone up due to an incorrection. Therefore my premium has gone up. It's not necessarily linked to the type, cause or payout closure of the incident itself. 
    That is a stonking increase for something so simply missed. I guess they treat all undisclosures the same?
    I also wonder, will this affect my future insurance prices? 
    With these types of companies the increases due to false/non-disclosures always seem very high... on the plus side they allow you to pay the additional premium and/or cancel it yourself rather than voiding the policy for a non-disclosure which would have a much greater long term impact on future premiums. 
  • aoleks
    aoleks Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    ok, let's be clear here...

you did NOT forget to disclose a recent accident. you're fooling yourself, but not us.

be happy they didn't cancel your insurance, that would've seen your premium rise to thousands over the next few years.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2022 at 12:53PM
    Options
    A prime example of why all the information on your initial application should be true and correct.  Apart from the fact that any discrepancy or 'memory failure' leaves you open to this kind of practice, it is also the case that certain underwriters are more sensitive to certain risks than others.  Therefore the choice of underwriter will have been made against your original risk profile and, had you filled in the proposal form properly, you have have been placed with a different underwriter in the first place.  Change the goal posts after the fact and you could find yourself with an underwriter that is not comfortable with the particular circumstances that you failed to disclose.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback