My insurance has gone up 35% from a No fault claim where I wasn't in the car???

Options
Recently I got insurance with Onecall.
My insurance is £479.
However, I forgot to mention a no-fault claim. A claim where someone hit my stationary car that I wasn't in.
There is a £39 admin fee which is understandable. 
However, my premium has gone up £169. This seems absurd.
Is there anything I can do? Can I cancel my policy to change insurance?

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "However, I forgot to mention a no-fault claim. A claim where someone hit my stationary car that I wasn't in."

Were you able to claim or did your insurance pay out ?

If your insurance paid out its a fault claim .
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have protected no claims bonus cover? 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 April 2022 at 2:45PM
    Options
    caprikid1 said:
    "However, I forgot to mention a no-fault claim. A claim where someone hit my stationary car that I wasn't in."

The claim could have been through the OP's insurance against the 3rd parties, where even though the OP's insurance paid out it is still a non-fault claim as they have recovered their money from the 3rd party insurer.

Not sure on the relevance here for the price uplift, the amount of no claims is the same when the OP subsequently declared the non fault claim. It won't have change the amount of NCD the OP would have had on their renewal as the previous insurer would have applied this or not.

Unfortunately non fault claims, especially for vehicles hit whilst un-attended can increase the price.

As the omission was entirely yours, whilst you can always cancel and pay the penalty the insurer applies for early termination I can't see them waiving those fees. Only difference is if you are in the cooling off period and can cancel under those terms where a lower cost may be incurred.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2022 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Recently I got insurance with Onecall.
    My insurance is £479.
    However, I forgot to mention a no-fault claim. A claim where someone hit my stationary car that I wasn't in.
    There is a £39 admin fee which is understandable. 
    However, my premium has gone up £169. This seems absurd.
    Is there anything I can do? Can I cancel my policy to change insurance?
    You will find lots of threads on certain brokers/MGAs who go through your application with a fine tooth comb and make premium adjustments for any false declarations that were made... there was one not that long ago where the person was charged an extra £75 because they'd owned their car for 15 months and not the 17 months they had declared.

Its probably more accurate to say that your insurance has gone up due to a false declaration than due to a non-fault claim.

You can cancel the policy and go elsewhere but be aware that these types of companies tend to have very high cancellation fees so make sure you understand what they will be before buying elsewhere.
  • Lemonhusky
    Options
    caprikid1 said:

One Call sent me a letter.
    "Undisclosed Claims - Non-fault claim on xx-xx-xxxx"
  • Lemonhusky
    Options
    No I don't.
    But I currently have a 7 years no claims bonus.

400ixl said:
    The claim could have been through the OP's insurance against the 3rd parties, where even though the OP's insurance paid out it is still a non-fault claim as they have recovered their money from the 3rd party insurer.

Not sure on the relevance here for the price uplift, the amount of no claims is the same when the OP subsequently declared the non fault claim. It won't have change the amount of NCD the OP would have had on their renewal as the previous insurer would have applied this or not.

Unfortunately non fault claims, especially for vehicles hit whilst un-attended can increase the price.

As the omission was entirely yours, whilst you can always cancel and pay the penalty the insurer applies for early termination I can't see them waiving those fees. Only difference is if you are in the cooling off period and can cancel under those terms where a lower cost may be incurred.
    Another driver hit my car while it was parked. I got a payout instead of the offered garage repairs.
    My NCD 7 is still applied on my policy docs. 
    One Call mention in the letter that they had done "checks" and been made aware of the "following misrepresentations"
    "Undiscolosed Claims - Non-fault Claim on xx-xx-xxxx"

• Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    When is your insurance actually due? Are you within 14 day cancellation period - If the policy has not yet taken effect then you can cancel without penalty and find another insurer
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did your insurance company successfully recover the costs of the claim from the third party ?
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,800 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2022 at 4:39PM
    Options
    caprikid1 said:
    Did your insurance company successfully recover the costs of the claim from the third party ?
    You have asked this a couple of times now, curious to know why as it makes no material difference, the insurer involved in processing the claim has registered it on the MIAFTR database as non fault claim and have issued a renewal with 7 years NCD if what the OP has said is correct. That is all that matters as far as the new insurer is concerned.

OP, all insurance companies register claims on a national database which is where they will have been able to see that you had not declared a claim. The changing the price is the lesser of two evils, they could have cancelled your policy based on a fraudulent declaration which would have meant you having to declare such a cancellation on all future quotes.

The fact you were not in the car does not mean that you do not present an additional risk. The insurer could take it as you may park in the same location again, or that you park in places which are of a higher risk (such as close to a bend or junction). All of these increase the risk of the insured asset being involved in future claim.
  • Lemonhusky
    Options
    Update:
    I called my previous car insurer for more clarity.
    They said the claim was still open and they are in the process of recovering the outlay from the third party insurance.
    But fundamentally, it's non-fault with waived excess.
    I can't contact Onecall because their online chat isn't working... The letter also says I have 7 days to provide proof of an incorrection. I can't provide this because they have no contact number and the claim isn't closed yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback