Moving home and transferring fixed tariff

Options
Hi everyone

Me and my partner are moving house (renting) and so I phoned edf energy a few weeks ago to see if we could move our current fixed tariff to our new property. They said that this would be fine, they could transfer our fixed tariff and to phone them when we moved so they could set it up for us.

A few days ago I rang them to let them know we'd moved and to start the process of switching supplier at our new property and they said that they no longer were transferring fixed tariffs for people that were moving home.

As you can imagine we're a bit annoyed by this as knowing our energy price wasn't going to double idid influence our decision to move. Our terms and conditions state if we move home and our payment method and meter type at our new home support our existing tariff, we may change the premises being supplied to our new premises.

Is there anything we can do in this situation to keep our current tariff or is it very unlikely thar we'll be able to do this now? Also if we can't do this are we better off sticking with the provider already set up at our new property?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your T&Cs clearly state you can take your tariff with you then you need to raise a complaint.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably you made the call via mobile. If so look at your call history and you can get the exact date/time/length of call. Ask EDF for a transcript of the call. If they cannot provide remind them of what was said and that you wish to raise a complaint. 
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    Send a formal written Subject Access Request to EDF asking for a transcript or recording of the call.  If it confirms that they did indeed agree to supply the new property on the existing tariff then submit a complaint in the same way, asking for a deadlock letter.  Go to the Ombudsman upon receipt of said letter or after eight weeks if they don't send one.
    In the meantime register with the incumbent supplier(s) at the new property but decline any fixed offers.  Their default prices will be almost exactly the same as EDF's unless you have Economy 7, in which case there may be a small variance.
    Don't forget to update us about the outcome !
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you copy the complete part of the T&C that you are referring to please?

Already in 2018 EDF had a clause that allowed them not to give you the old fixed rate

(b) Moving home – if you move home and the payment method and meter type at your new home support your existing tariff, you may change the premises being supplied to your new premises. If you decide to do this, you must tell us which fuels you want us to supply at your new premises so that we can apply to become the registered supplier for those fuels.
     (c) The payment method for this tariff is Direct Debit. If you change your payment method to anything other than this, we will transfer you to our deemed contract scheme under clause 7.6 of these terms.

4.5 To do any of the above you need to ask us. If you do, the changes will apply once we have processed your request. Your charges may change as a result, and you agree to this. You may also have to pay costs associated with changing your meter. We will explain any changes to your charges and any extra costs to you at the time. 

Are your T&C different and don't have clause 4.5?
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 658 Forumite
    Options
    Ring them again as they definitely allow you to take your existing tariff with you to a new property providing they support the meter type there. If you get no joy, ask to speak to a manager 
  • Beckys1928
    Options
    pochase said:
    Can you copy the complete part of the T&C that you are referring to please?

Already in 2018 EDF had a clause that allowed them not to give you the old fixed rate

(b) Moving home – if you move home and the payment method and meter type at your new home support your existing tariff, you may change the premises being supplied to your new premises. If you decide to do this, you must tell us which fuels you want us to supply at your new premises so that we can apply to become the registered supplier for those fuels.
     (c) The payment method for this tariff is Direct Debit. If you change your payment method to anything other than this, we will transfer you to our deemed contract scheme under clause 7.6 of these terms.

4.5 To do any of the above you need to ask us. If you do, the changes will apply once we have processed your request. Your charges may change as a result, and you agree to this. You may also have to pay costs associated with changing your meter. We will explain any changes to your charges and any extra costs to you at the time. 

Are your T&C different and don't have clause 4.5?
    Yes these are our T&C's and 4.5 is within them. Does this make a difference to our case?
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options
    I am not 100% sure, but the general agreement here in the forum is that by default you don't have any rights to take a fixed rate with you as the contract is for the property and not for a person.

EDF has until a few days ago allowed people to transfer the fixed rate to a new property, and the information you got a few days ago seems to confirm this.

Clause 4.5 looks to me like a way out for them for transferring fixed tariffs, but you asked them as advised in clause 4.5, and they have confirmed that they will allow you to take the fixed rate with you, so they should stick to it and I think there is a good chance for a complaint. I just think the complaint should be that they gave you wrong information on which you based your decision, not the T&C for moving.

They have for the new fixed tariffs made it much clearer that they can change the tariff 

you must tell us which fuels you want us to supply at your new premises so that we can apply to become the registered supplier for those fuels and you will need to agree a new tariff with us that we have available at that time for your new premises.

• Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    But to counter your T&C's you have had a verbal agreement they will move your fixed tariff so it is worth progressing the transcript of the call, remind then what was said and start the complaints process.
  • wendypete84
    Options
    Hello, I’m having the same problem I asked when entered into the fixed tariff just over a year ago if I could move it with me if I did moved abs was told I could. They have since said this has all changed. Surely it is a breach of contract? 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,257 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I’m having the same problem I asked when entered into the fixed tariff just over a year ago if I could move it with me if I did moved abs was told I could. They have since said this has all changed. Surely it is a breach of contract? 
    It depends on how they handled the change in their T&C, they do have the ability to change them but they need to tell you they have changed and allow you to leave the tariff without penalty if you don't like the change...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback